Even possible to build a home PC that will run FSX flawless?

I have a dual core E6400 @ 3.2ghz stable, along with an 8800GTS 640MB Graphics Card, and 2x 1GB of Ram, running XP 32 Bit SP2.

I just downloaded FSX SP2, and although a very noticeable improvement, its not the type of performance I would expect with a rather high end PC. I know FSX is a very complex Sim, and I am not complaining, but I would like to know what kind of PC I would NEED to run FSX in a flawless manner. Right now I am running at 1680x1050 with Full AA and Max Settings. I would like to know what improvements I would need to make to my PC to run FSX without even any frame rate decrease, while running under max settings, and highest resolution...

I have some more money to upgrade, and am thinking about going to a 8800GTX, and a Quad Core (when the prices drop next month). Will this even do the trick? Its it even possible right now to build a home PC that can conquer FSX and run it as it was meant to be run?

please advise...

thanks
Joe

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Hello 😀

Well I have a little story for you. A computer I bought recently which had the following spec (speaking in the past tense since it's been refunded) -

EVGA SLi Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.67Ghz
EVGA 8800GTX 768Mb
750GB HDD
1000w PSU
Passive Cooling

So that comp ran FSX at roughly medium settings at 40Fps in the air and depending on the airport size, 20Fps on the ground. To give you an idea of the settings and how it would look, autogen was at sparse and scenery complexity at dense. However, I had mesh resolution, mesh complexity, texture resolution etc nearly full. Also water was at mid.x2. As for traffic settings I had airline traffic at 75%, (bearing in mind thats FSX default traffic, not any add on stuff) general aviation at 30%, airport vehicles at medium or high I can't remember. Oh and cars at 40 - 50%. All of that running on 1440x900x16 resolution, with anisotropic filtering and anti aliasing checked.

The setup I had would no doubt serve you well, also with SP1 out now who knows what things will be discovered. Although you won't be able to run FSX at max settings with good performance on any computer. I'm well aware people are reporting they can now because of SP1, but I'll believe it when someone gives me a screenshot of getting 40Fps landing at LAX or JFK. Btw an extra 2gigs of ram would help!

Hope this has answered any questions.

Yea, that does help alot. You just saved me alot of money! Like I mentioned, I was considering a GPU Upgrade and a quad core, but if its not going to give me good performance under max settings, I will just hold off.

I wonder how long it will be before the technology catches up where we CAN run FSX under full load and still get 40+ fps. This is all discouraging, considering I built my current PC for FSX. Time will tell...

you downloaded SP2 ?!?!?

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

Hi guest,
I'm curious; why would you want fps greater than thirty? A tv runs at just a tick under 30fps and movies (in theatres) are 24fps. I don't see any jitters on my tv and only a few when watching a film. Like I said, "I'm just curious" and would like to know what 40fps would add to the sim experience. 😕
Best regards...Art

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I thought there was only sp1. Where do you see he downloaded sp2?

"SP2" was a typo......sorry, meant to say SP1 (lets use our heads here)

Its not so much that I want 40 fps, 30 would be totally fine, I just want it to be consistent! I may get 25-30 with full detail over water, but when I hit the city I get about 5, and it sucks because I spent over $2000 for this PC, mostly for FSX. Hopefully this summer the technology will be there to Dominate FSX entirely, through all spectrums. I would like a PC that could run 40+ FPS all day, even in the heaviet most dense scenery, I just dont think the technology is even available yet...

I have the $$$, and am ready to buy, but I guess I just have to wait..

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Guys, he typoed, stop trying to be funny...

Sno0ze: I can tell you right now, you would have doubled your FPS alone if you reduced the amount of traffic you were using.. seriously, it takes more of a hit that you realize. If you had turned it to 20% overall, you would have seen 60fps, and if you had turned it to about 10%, you would see 80fps, like I did.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

effieveda wrote:

Hi guest,
I'm curious; why would you want fps greater than thirty? A tv runs at just a tick under 30fps and movies (in theatres) are 24fps. I don't see any jitters on my tv and only a few when watching a film. Like I said, "I'm just curious" and would like to know what 40fps would add to the sim experience. 😕
Best regards...Art

Im assuming that you have not operated the sim at anything higher than 20fps then? Because if you had, you would not had posted such filth Wink

Yes, 24fps is the standard frame rate for motion pictures, however rendered objects on a PC is not the same as 24fps from a projector and screen. I thought 25fps was awesome, until I hit 50, then I hit 80, now 25fps seems like 10 did when I first started. THERE IS A VERY MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE!!

Pro Member Trainee
chlorinekid Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

the building instructions are here:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/565060/mineral_oil_submerged_computer/

that's the coolest thing ive ever seen...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...