editing the aircraft.cfg file to add new livery

I need some help. I am trying to add a new livery for the boeing 747 but after I make the necessary additions in aircraft.cfg, I cannot save the file. It gives me the following message:

Cannot create C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games......\aircraft.cfg file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but can someone please help me. I am running windows vista Home Premium. Thanks in advance

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

I don't know why it happens, but I found a way around it.
Steps:
1. Make edits in the .cfg file (in your case aircraft.cfg)
2. Save to a place like your desktop documents just any folder under drive:\users\user. Where drive is put the drive you have installed Vista on (in your case and in general C:\) and where user is put your Windows username.
3. Copy your file to the drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\b747_400 folder. Where drive is put your drive that you installed FSX on (in your case and in general C:\)
4. Windows Vista will ask permission to copy to the drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\b747_400 folder (if you have UAC on) and tell it to continue.
5. It will notice that there is already an aircraft.cfg file there so it will ask you to choose what to do. I am sot sure exactly wht is called, but it is something like Move and replace. It is the first option.

You should then have the new aircraft.cfg file in your folder.

Hope this helps -Orion

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

Don't feel bad, the same thing happened to me. I have Vista Premium, the OS from hell. I had to copy the .cfg to my desktop, make the changes, move the original .cfg file to a holding folder I created (in case the change scerwed up the program), then move the new .cfg file to the Airplanes folder ( respective aiplane). Once you do that, you can then make more changes within the FSX file. Strange, but it happens.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...