Resolving Microsoft FSX Flight Planner Freezes After Windows 10 Upgrade

Duncan Bell Guest

When I go into FSX Flight Planner, as soon as I choose my origin and destination and Find Route, when I try to save the Flight plan FSX locks up and I have to restart. This never happened when I was running Windows 7 but happens almost all the time now that I have upgraded to Windows 10 even when I run FSX as administrator...

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Encountering a freeze in FSX's Flight Planner post-upgrade to Windows 10 can indeed be frustrating. Fortunately, there are several steps we can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue. Since you've already attempted running FSX as an administrator, let's explore further measures.

Firstly, it's imperative to ensure that FSX is fully compatible with Windows 10. Compatibility issues are common when transitioning between operating systems. Here's a structured approach:

• Update Graphics Drivers: Ensure your graphics card drivers are up to date. Manufacturers like NVIDIA and AMD frequently update their drivers for better compatibility with newer versions of Windows.
  • Install Latest Windows Updates: Make sure your Windows 10 is up to date. Microsoft releases patches that could improve the functionality of older applications like FSX.
  • FSX Steam Edition: Consider switching to the Steam Edition of FSX if you're using the DVD version. The Steam Edition has been updated for better compatibility with modern systems.
  • Compatibility Mode: Right-click on the FSX shortcut, select Properties, then Compatibility. Try setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7 or XP.
  • DEP Settings: Adjust Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings. FSX should be an exception in DEP. Navigate to Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention, then add fsx.exe to the list.
  • Scenery.cfg File: Occasionally, FSX freezes are caused by corrupted scenery files. Check the integrity of your Scenery.cfg file.
  • CFG Tweaks: Editing the FSX.cfg file can improve performance and stability. Consider tweaks such as HIGHMEMFIX=1, which can be added under the [GRAPHICS] section.

It's also beneficial to perform a clean boot of your system to rule out conflicts with background applications. If the problem persists, consider reaching out to the community forums or technical support for your graphics card or Windows.

For complex issues like these, a step-by-step elimination process is often the most effective way to pinpoint the exact cause and find a resolution. If you provide more specific details about your system configuration and any error messages encountered, I can offer more targeted advice.

Remember, while FSX is a seasoned simulator, its immersive experience remains unparalleled, and resolving these hiccups is well worth the effort. Should you have any further questions or require additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...