"gliding configuration"

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

An Air Accident Report, concerning an Evergreen Intl Airlines cargo 747 en route for Wright Field NY from Ramstein Germany - (4/04/2004), mentioned with some concern that having lost one engine and the three others down on thrust passed over heavily populated London for an emergency landing at Heathrow in "gliding configuration"
Just what would the "gliding configuration" be???
I've heard of a 747 losing all engines after passing through a volcanic eruption cloud before restarting engines on a controlled descent (glide?)but the Evergreen aircraft is reported to have made various directional and altitude changes.
(maybe one for Don Wood?)

Last edited by john (verygom) on Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Well a gliding configuration, is a setup of flaps, speed etc that allows you to glide for the longest distance without the aid of engines, so an aircraft can reach its alternate destination as safely as possible. Not sure what this exact setup is in the 747, but there will be a complete checklist available for the pilots to stick to in the event that they do lose all engines. Basically it allows them to glide for as long as possible without crashing 😉

Don Wood Guest

I've never heard the term before and, without reading the accident report so I could see it in context, I'm not sure what they meant. It could be, as 99jolegg said, the aircraft was configured for best glide speed. It could also be that the accident board was concerned that the pilot choose to overfly a populated area with minimal or no power.

The fact that the aircraft made various turns is not surprising. A pilot would be lucky indeed to be set up exactly on his final course when he/she suffered a catostrophic power loss. Any emergency landing involves turns. In fact the space shuttle's always land completely without power and they manuever constantly to set up for landing.

As idle curiousity, do you know where Wright Field in NY is located? The only Wright Field I am aware of is just outside Dayton, OH.

Pro Member First Officer

The "incident" was reported in the UK national newspapers and Text TV and an "air accident report" was quoted. It was also reported that the pilot strongly requested Heathrow as his diversion. The reported destination of a NY airport may be an error or a misquote involving the name of the designer of La Guadia - Frank Lloyd Wright?
I have been unable to find any Formal Reports on the 'net from the AAIB or the AAIU -I assume the UK authorities would be the reporting body?.
I've found nothing about the incident on the Evergreen websites (not surprising!) but the plane was probably a 747-100 as I do'nt think they had taken delivery of the -200F's at that time.
I'm interested in this (official) report because manouvering a 747 - presumably with a hi payload and hi fuel load - on low/nil thrust seems quite a problem! Where else might I look?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

An section I found interesting in that artical

The investigators recommended there should be more definite guidelines for air traffic control staff to deal with a plane that is so badly damaged it cannot safely fly over densely populated areas

Which major airport in the south east that can take a 747 isn't in a populated area??

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think it means any airport that isn't in a very highly populated area that can land a 747, i.e. Southampton, Manston, Biggin Hill, Brize Norton. They are still surrounded by houses etc, but not as close to say central London, but I see your point. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Here is the AAIB Bulletin ➡

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/N481EV%201-06.pdf

A long 😳 , but very interesting article 👍

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks guys for the links - I think I jumped the publication gun.
I had to laugh at a quote from an "aviation expert" in the UK Daily Express newspaper today:- "Each time you descend into Heathrow the plane glides but the engines are running. It is like when you go down a hill on a bicycle - you do not need to pedal" - and how many times have you landed in a commercial jet without the pilot adjusting throttles on descent to hold the glide slope???
Another thing which is a bit worrying "There was no guidance available within the operations manual on the glide performance of the aircraft or glide approach technique ..( 😳 ).........and the commander was fortunate to have an unobscured view of the airport""

Pro Member First Officer

Having now read through the full report (s) - I do'nt think it was anything like riding a bicycle down a hill 😂 😂
By the way Don W - the report does confirm the 'Wright' location as NY

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...