Serious Help With exe.xml File Needed

Pro Member Trainee
Steve (LTCSZ) Trainee

I am desperate...Apparently, my exe.xml file has been corrupted and I can no longer run the simulator...It returns me to the desktop immediately after the "Game Of The Year" splash screen...I had just purchased the Bravo Throttle Quadrant and tried to install the program for it, "AFC Bridge"...Something screwed up! Here is a copy of my current exe.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AFCBridge</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Path>C:\Users\LTCSZ\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\community\AFC_Bridge\bin\AFC_Bridge.exe</Path>
   </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Could someone take a look at it and tell me what's wrong? I have deleted the AFCBridge program from the Community folder, but no luck...I am really needing help, otherwise, I am looking at deleting the entire simulator, downloading it again, and redownloading all of my add-ons...Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!

Steve in Kansas

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hi Steve,

Sure, I'd be glad to help. It sounds like you're dealing with a particularly nettlesome issue. Let's dive in and see if we can find a way through this.

Firstly, from your description, it's clear that the installation of the AFC Bridge program has potentially led to a disruption in the execution of your flight simulator. The exe.xml file, which is basically an XML configuration file (a file type designed to store and transport data), is used by the simulator to automatically load certain addons at startup.

When you say the exe.xml file is corrupted, it may mean the simulator cannot correctly read or interpret it due to a formatting error or incorrect data.

Steve in Kansas wrote:

Could someone take a look at it and tell me what's wrong?

Upon examining the content of your exe.xml file, I do not immediately see any structural or syntax issues. It's formatted correctly with a <Launch.Addon> tag that encapsulates the name, disability status, and path of your addon.

Nevertheless, if the AFC Bridge program was incorrectly installed or not compatible with your current simulator setup, it might have caused issues.

Steve in Kansas wrote:

I have deleted the AFC Bridge program from the Community folder, but no luck...

This is a logical step to take. However, if the simulator still expects to find the AFC Bridge executable at the specified path, its absence might be causing the crash.

Before we proceed to more drastic measures such as reinstalling the simulator, let's try the following steps:

1. Try to remove the <Launch.Addon> block related to the AFC Bridge from the exe.xml file. Remember to also remove the corresponding </Launch.Addon> closing tag.
  2. Then save the exe.xml file and try to run the simulator.

These steps should theoretically prevent the simulator from trying to load the AFC Bridge at startup, thus circumventing any issues caused by its absence.

If the problem persists, it might be an indication that something else is at play. In that case, a further course of action would be to manually inspect and edit the exe.xml file. It could be that another addon is causing an issue, or a configuration setting is incompatible with your system.

A worst-case scenario would be that the simulator's core files have been affected. In that case, reinstalling the simulator may indeed be the most expedient solution. It's not an ideal situation, I know, given the time it takes to download and reinstall everything. But it can sometimes be the only surefire way to restore full functionality.

Let's hope the first solution works though.

Looking forward to your response. We'll get you back in the skies in no time!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...