Pro Member Trainee
skennedy04 Trainee

How do i use the approach hold switch on a 747-400

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welcome to the forums Group Wave

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Read that link, it'll tell you everything you need to know about ILS approaches. I suggest you start with something smaller than a 747 😉

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I started with the piston single...didnt upgrade to dual piston for a long time, then dual turbo prop, after 2 years prop experience, I eventually put my hands on a buzjet, citation X. I still have a Level-D 767 parking in my hanger, but I don't think I will move to that size in another 6 months... 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welcome to Flyaway skennedy04 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Welcome skennedy04!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think your talking about ALT HOLD in the default Boeing 747-400. ALT HOLD switch commands the autopilot (AP) to intercept and maintain the altitude dialed into the autopilot control panel (ALT window above switch). Select new altitude. Press ALT HOLD. Vertical Speed will illuminate and a default value of 1800 FPM will be commanded. This is adjustable via the vertical speed wheel. AP will climb/descend to the selected altitude and maintain it.

If you're talking about APP (Approach button), see previous post as stated above.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

Welcome to Flyaway. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I have a quick question regargding the APP hold switch. Does it hold the attitude aswell as the direction of the A/C? Whenever it takes over it finds the correct direction and about 8nm out, it takes the attitude control aswell leaving me with just the speed. Is this right?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yes. The APP hold switch aligns the aircraft with the glideslope and localizer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Let's get our names straight. The APP button(not APP HOLD) is the Approach button. It has nothing to do with Altitude or Attitude (they are different) of the aircraft. It will only hold direction after it locks on the navigational signal that you have set up. It will descend the aircraft on the Glide Slope of an ILS equipped runway if correct nav freq in dialed in and aircraft approaches ILS from correct direction. Approximately within 18 nm and 45 degrees left or right of centerline of course, on the side of the airport that the ILS serves. Glide Slope should be intercepted from below. APP button arms the autopilot to lock on to the Localizer signal to a runway with a Localizer or ILS system if you are in an acceptable position to intercept the signal. The switch will also lock on to the course of an GPS approach that you have selected and set up in the GPS. 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain

You are right. It's APP button. I messed that up Embarassed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...