Convert MDL files

RobM Guest

I need to pull a MDL file for an aircraft into an STL file. I have 2002 & 2004 versions of the MDL file.

The 2002 SDK page includes 'documentation' of the MDL format, it is based on a RIFF file. There are some RIFF editors online, but they really choke badly on the file. They can read the headers, but that is about it. RIFF files are devided into chunks, but the documentation doesn't really describe the core of the 3D format.

Any help for a conversion is greatly appreciated. If anyone can get it into an intermediat format, that is progress & maybe I can get it from there.

I've downloaded a MDL to DXF converter meant for older versions of the MDL file format. It crashes after churning for a little while. Opening the DXF in Autocad doesn't work.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I google this : Convert mdl to stl files and i get several converters and utilities.
My knowledges stops here for it so you can search too,or you can wait for more specific replays... Dont Know 😉

Thanks for the help.

It looks like MDL isn't exactly a unique file extension in the 3D world. One of the Quake formats shares the name, among others.

So, most of those 14,800 hits get eliminated by including the search phrase "flight simulator". That gets me down to 283....

Most of which seem to be junk. Lists of file extensions for example...

I did a pretty thurough search before posting, so if it was easy, I'd have it. (:

Thanks,

Rob

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...