Any Radar Contact users?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Looking into picking it up, only thing thats keeping me off is I can only get it on CD-ROM and I hate waiting. Wink

If you have it how it is it, and are there any other ATC programs that are available?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

I have Radar Contact and love it. It didn't take as long as I expected for it to arrive. And it's all I use now for my flights.

Some of the fefatures I love:
- having a co-pilot that you can give the radios and controls to. On long flgihts once I'm at cruise altitude I hand over the radio and controls and either sit back and enjoy the scenery or do some work around the house here.
- more realistic ATC.
- emergencies! This came in handy the other day. I had a major fuel leak in the left tank and declared an energency. ATC vectored me to the closest airport and got me down nice and safe. The built-in ATC doesn't handle emergencies.
- you can set it to pause the simulation at a set distance from the destination.

There are lots of other features in this package. There are some bugs I've noticed though:
- if there's a waypoint very close to your departing airport (usually it's VOR) and you don't hit that waypoint RC4 will have you turn around and go back to it before continuing. Did this to me 3/4th of the way from KSEA to KSAN. If you have a waypoint within a couple of miles from the departing airport, remove it and save yourself a lot of lost time and fuel.
- this isn't really a bug, but would be nice if they inculded it. ATC doesn't give you a gate or stand to taxi to after landing.
- ATC isn't very forgiving if you deviate from your path or altitude, even in an attempt to avoid hitting something. Just this morning I was heading directly into the path of another aircraft. The systems on the Feelthere 737PIC said to descend so I did. Then ATC started after me for being below my assigned altitude. ATC did alert me to the traffic before it became a threat, but it should have given me some give in order to save the aircrafts from a most certain demise.

In all, it's definately worth getting and worth the wait.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll probably order it tomorrow then, seems like its just what I've been looking for, especially the co-pilot feature since usually once I'm cruising I do something else and I have to keep checking back to see if I have a radio call to respond too, and sometimes I do and then I miss it and they cancel my IFR, which is annoying.

this isn't really a bug, but would be nice if they inculded it. ATC doesn't give you a gate or stand to taxi to after landing.

Do you mean they don't send you to any parking or gate when you contact ground?

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Hi Mithheru:

Just wanted to ask whether this co-pilot in radar contact will be able to land itself as well?

Second where should I go to buy this product???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

http://www.jdtllc.com/

Why would you want to have your co-pilot land the plane? Whats the point of playing then? But no it does not.

Pro Member First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

Do you mean they don't send you to any parking or gate when you contact ground?

Nope, all it says is 'taxi to the ramp'. After that you're on your own to figure out where to go and how to get there. It ill also only tell you which runway to taxi to. This I like because it forces me to look at the layout of the airport to figure which taxiways to use to get there.

And as Solotwo said, the co-pilot won't land the aircraft for you. At some point during the setup for approach he hands the controls back to you. If you aren't there to take them then the plane continues going in the last heading set.

There are payware planes and some freeware that will autoland. I've been flying the Wilco/Felthere 737PIC and using the autoland til I get more comfortable doing it myself. One nice advantqage to autoland is to take screenshots during landing. 😀 Later today or tomorrow I'll be posting my own landing at St. Marteen (TNCM) from Miami (KMIA).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Sweet, quite a bit more realistic and I can then actually park where I WANT to. 🙂 I usually always have airport diagram's printed out so I like guiding my self around.

Btw I did order it, can't wait to get it. Thanks again for all your input.

Pro Member Trainee
Bhupesh Trainee

Hi guys:

Thanks for the info however I know how to land a boeing but asked this so that I can have a cup of coffee while the co-pilot lands itself and my passengers feel good abt the landing...

Pro Member First Officer

Bhupesh wrote:

Hi guys:

Thanks for the info however I know how to land a boeing but asked this so that I can have a cup of coffee while the co-pilot lands itself and my passengers feel good abt the landing...

Well, if you're up to spending a bit more money get the 737PIC or another aircraft that does autoland. You still have to hit the reverse thrusters and disengage them before slower down below 60kts, but it does all the work on an ILS runway. And you'd also have to disengage the autopilot after landing at some point or I'll bet the plane starts turning around to get closer to the ILS transmitter.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...