Career Change to Pilot

Pro Member Trainee
NeilA Trainee

Over the past week I have really been thinking about my future. I've always loved aeroplanes, planespotting and all that and once thought of becoming a pilot. Some how I managed to get my self into a computer programming job. I've been doing this now for about 5.5 years.

This week I have been trhinking and am feeling that my job is becoming boring and I really want to do something more of a challenge that I love. I've been thinking what I might do is save up my money and pay to get my private pilots licence. Hopefully once I get that I will see if I can some how get into becoming a real pilot commerically. I would have to jack in my current job to do this.

A pilot is a career I would dearly love to do and can see my self there at some point in the future.

I would like to know if anyone here has been in a similar situation where you want a complete career change to become a pilot? If you can give some more info on how you went about it I would be grateful.

Thanks

Neil.

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

An interesting change Neil. Its an expensive process but I wish you all the best! Good luck 👍

😉

Pro Member Trainee
NeilA Trainee

I mean I have no idea of the whle 'becoming a pilot' process but would love to be there in the end. I can raise the money and I think im at a good age (21).

Pro Member Chief Captain

One thing you might want to consider is that training to become a pilot is a lot cheaper in the USA than it is in the UK. Theres a flight school in America (British run) that charges £2999 compared to around £6000 here. Anyway, its something you may want to consider.

Have a read through this post, how to become a pilot:

http://www.balpa.org.uk/intranet/How-to-bec/How-to-become-a-pilot.pdf

Some of the costs you will incur:

http://www.balpa.org.uk/intranet/How-to-bec/self-funding.doc_cvt.htm

Training abroad option:

http://www.balpa.org.uk/intranet/How-to-bec/-Training-Abroad.rtf_cvt.htm

I hope that is useful 😉

Pro Member Trainee
NeilA Trainee

Thank you I will have a read.

Pro Member Chief Captain

No problem, just to bombard you with some more reading...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138022

...that is an account of someones journey from 0 hours to getting his license over a year later. A very long but extremely interesting and informative read 😉

Pro Member Trainee
NeilA Trainee

Thanks.

The thing that worries me that I read all over is about qualifications and minimum requirements.

Some of the things I read say minimum of 5 GCSE's with A-C grade. I have some grade C's but only in science and not English and Maths.

However, throughout my career so far I have complete a NVQ level 3, A level and just finishing a Higher National Certificate.

Will any of that hold me back do you think?

Last edited by NeilA on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

No don't worry about stated minimum qualifications

Pro Member Chief Captain

The airline industry is an ever increasing business with little amount of spaces needed for pilots etc. This means that qualifications are becoming more important. That is not to say that qualifications are the be all and end all of pilots being hired; far from it, but they are important.
Not having a GCSE grade C in English and Maths might prove problematic. Do you have any A levels? HNCs and GNVQs along with A levels are considered further education, so might be sufficient in lack of GCSE's but thats no certainty. To work for a major airline, GCSEs in maths and english at C or above is almost certainly needed, but maybe you could email them and ask them.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Or you could ignore all of the above 😂 ; PH knows what hes talking about 😉

Theres no harm in emailing a few airlines or companies and seeing what they recommend if its holding you back or you are worrying about it.

👍

Pro Member Trainee
NeilA Trainee

I guess email airlines is the best thing. I will do that at some point.

As you may see I have 1 A level, a level 3 NVQ and will have a HNC.

Pro Member Chief Captain

That should be ok then. You have surpassed minimum requirements in some areas so it just depends on the airline I suppose. I'm sure an exceptional pilot wouldn't ever be turned down on previous grades 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

my reccomendation to become a pilot is to try to go to und.(i don't know, are you already going to college) even if you are going to college, going to und gives you a 100 percent chance of being hired.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...