Mach Hold

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Yesterday I was flying the Boeing 767-200 which according to the stats cruises at .80 to .84 Mach.

When I was at a crusing altitude, I set the Mach hold on autopilot to .83, yet the highest speed it would reach was .74M (as you can see on the glass cockpit display underlined in red)

Why is this?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Two things could of happened here.

One you where flying into a strong head wind.
Two switch the mach hold to spd hold and then back to mch hold.

I reckon someone with more knowledge than me will come along but that is my 2penny's worth

Liono

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

would be interesting to see what the engines are doing. Was it full throttle? I find it'll take some time to build up speed. Did you fly calm weather? The model you are flying realistic?

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Mach hold only holds the current mach you are flying when you set it. Furthermore, this feature is used to hold the mach in a climb or descent. It will vary the pitch and descent rate in order to maintain the CURRENT mach when you set it. It works like the IAS hold but for high altitude climbs or descents so you don't have to keep varying the airspeed. I used to fly DC-10s and Learjets. We rarely used this feature as it caused the aircraft to chase the pitch in trying to maintain the airspeed and it lagged. Wasn't a very comfortable ride for the passengers.

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

so using it for cruising would not be normal? I've set the Mach hold at a higher then indicated number and A/P will speed up to meet it. I don't doubt you though, interesting.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Two switch the mach hold to spd hold and then back to mch hold.

I never tried that, so I expect that was the problem.

Was it full throttle? I find it'll take some time to build up speed. Did you fly calm weather? The model you are flying realistic?

Once you switch on autothrottle, you can change your joystick throttle to lots of different setting with out your aircraft's speed changhing. Yes the weather was calm with 0 wings, and the model is as realistic as they come, made by IFDG.

Mach hold only holds the current mach you are flying when you set it.

Not on my sim, I can change the mach and the aircraft changes it's speed. That's what autothrottle does...

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

What I meant to ask was A/P putting out full throttle at the time? I realize you would have no input when A/T is on and engaged

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

CT said: Once you switch on autothrottle, you can change your joystick throttle to lots of different setting with out your aircraft's speed changhing

..well yes of course.. because your throttle input won't affect anything when the autopilot is controlling the speed, lol 😉

um.. i dont know what to tell you CT.. i have encountered this problem before..but i didn't think much of it. ..my guess is it's a headwind. .. was your pitot heat on?

and also.. why do you have a 777 panel on the 767-200? .. i could see if it were the 767-400, because it's flightdeck is identical to the 777. .. but the 200 and 300 series are older.. and feature less computerized avionics.

i use Massimo Grassi's 767 panel.. it's very good freeware and i'd suggest downloading it.

images are here:
http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=64976

download it here:
http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=50541

enjoy!

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Possibly the .cfg file is incorrect? Open up the file, and tell us what it says for the aircrafts thrust rating, that could be it. 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

and also.. why do you have a 777 panel on the 767-200?

I dunno why the 767-200 used the 777 panel, it was just the default setting in the cfg when I dowloaded it!

Also thanks for the panel link, although I won't download it because I don't usually fly the heavy metals, it was just a once of flight yesterday (Screenshots in the Screenie Forum)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I think Liono's suggestion of switching to IAS and then back to MACH should solve your problem 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...