Southwest goin' International?

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Take a look:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/14517010.htm

Personally, I don't think SWA should go INTL. They are fitted more for domestic operations then INTL. ATA (SWA's partner) should handle the INTL routes.

Answers 24 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Yes i think they are domestic flyers as well. But could be they have one or two out of the country. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

They're hurting big time right now because of the fuel prices.
They're ticket prices here are the same or more that the majors so they have to look elsewhere for more $ or die.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

personally i dislike southwest....
the way they herd you into the airplane and the way that they aren't Northwest...

lol!!!

😎

Pro Member Captain

[quote="RadarMan"]They're hurting big time right now because of the fuel prices.
They're ticket prices here are the same or more that the majors so they have to look elsewhere for more $ or die.

I think it is as radarman says, because the fuel is going up, very fast and that is not good for any airline, but they are looking for this option, probable other airlines will do the same, if not they will die as a bussines.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

More and more carriers have copied their strategies, as well. They look around, and see themselves. Give them credit, though - they revolutionized the industry.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

amermel wrote:

personally i dislike southwest....
the way they herd you into the airplane and the way that they aren't Northwest...

lol!!!

😎

It has been said that in the US there are four classes on aircraft: First Class, Business Class, Economy Class and Southwest 😀

I guess for a while they were good at what they do. They even hedged a huge amount of fuel - maybe their hedge positions are expiring and that's why they're suffering.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I love Southwest, their philosophy and practices, I hope they do go international, giving the same care to flights they do in the US

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Just out of interest...what is the price of a litre of fuel in the US these days? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Just out of interest...what is the price of a litre of fuel in the US these days? 😉

Gallon by us.

For a car, where I live it's the highest in the nation.
Yesterday I saw it for $3.33.9 by my house and $3.49.9 in an area where it's always higher.
That may not seem high to you but here they have been using gas guzzlers for years because the gas was so cheap.
Last year at this time it was about $1 less per gallon.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

Where I live (Omaha, Nebraska) the lowest I've seen is $3.69.
The highest I've seen is $4.09 (for Premium)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

1.08 euros per litre in Greece... 🍅 🍅 🍅 Censored Censored Censored

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

Is that alot?

1.08 euros per litre in Greece...

Pro Member Captain

I heard that the oil barrel arround $73.4 USD, Here in Mexico (were i am living ), the gas is not so expensive for cars, but for what i´ve hear the owners of light aircraft are having problems to make their machines fly.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

lol stil no one has answered my question...

is 1.08 euro alot for a liter of 'petrol"

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

amermel wrote:

lol stil no one has answered my question...

is 1.08 euro alot for a liter of 'petrol"

Quite expensive by US standards - 1.08 Euro is about US$1.40. A litre is about quarter of a US gallon (a British gallon is larger) so we're talking about more than US$5 per gallon.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

dang!
😳

Pro Member Trainee
Nate66 Trainee

And this is why I hate the oil companies.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

That is funny, but how would the world live without oil?
Lets think about that for a second.
Firstly, there would be no cars, airplanes, or boats.
Secondly, there would be no computers because without oil to make plastic there isnt a computer.
Thirdly, the world depends on oil.
So pretty much, I think, that the world won't survive without oil companies, gasoline (petrol), plastics, or oil itself.

P.S. Unless someday someone invented an electric powered jet engine. Then that would revoulutionize the entire world. ( I think)

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I don't think anyone is complaining about oil, just the fact that the oil companies have been ripping everyone off.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

How did we get on the oil topic. We are talking about SWA goin' INTL.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

PanAmerican wrote:

How did we get on the oil topic. We are talking about SWA goin' INTL.

I think I might be responsible for that. I commented on the (possible) expiry of Southwest's fuel hedges. Those hedge positions are one reason why SW has been able to offer such low fares.

If their hedges have expired, they may well need to seek INTL markets to stay competitive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

amermel wrote:

Secondly, there would be no computers because without oil to make plastic there isnt a computer.
So pretty much, I think, that the world won't survive without oil companies, gasoline (petrol), plastics, or oil itself.

P.S. Unless someday someone invented an electric powered jet engine. Then that would revoulutionize the entire world. ( I think)

😎

Well,it's not that drastic.
Firstly,one has electric powered cars,and the compressed air powered car that has just been invented seems great.We'll somehow find an alternative to planes,and there are electric boats.
Secondly,there are alternatives to making plastic and rubber.
Thirdly,How did we live for several million years without oil?I find It's only an "accessorie"to our moder style of high tech living.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

hms_endeavour wrote:

amermel wrote:

😎

Well,it's not that drastic.
Firstly,one has electric powered cars,and the compressed air powered car that has just been invented seems great.We'll somehow find an alternative to planes,and there are electric boats.
Secondly,there are alternatives to making plastic and rubber.
Thirdly,How did we live for several million years without oil?I find It's only an "accessorie"to our moder style of high tech living.

Well we lived without oil for thousands of years because we didnt know it exsisted.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

1.08 might be expensive, but not compared to here in Norway..

1.5 - 1.8 euros for 1 litre and the prices just keep escalating

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...