Procedure for using flaps!

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

This perhaps may be the most dumb question asked, but can someone explain me how to use the flaps?
This is how I do it:
1. Once I get the message from the tower, "Landmark 1123 heavy you are 20 miles east, turn left heading 255 descend and maintain 1'800 cleared ILS Runway 1R Approach. Maintain 1'800 until established on the localizer, contact Schiphol tower on 112.334." then I do as the tower says, but when I reach the 1800, i reduce speed little by little putting out my flaps.
2. I keep doing so, maintaining at 1800 feet, until my speed is the appropriate and i have flaps at 30.
3. Once I see the vertical indicator (or whatever it is called) descend below the middle line, i then deactivate AP and do the whole thing myself until touchdown.

Is that the correct way of using the flaps?

Last edited by Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) on Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Not really, you dont use flaps to slow you down, it is a side-effect of using flaps. Flaps are used for creating more lift at lower speeds.
You need to know the v speeds for the plane you are flying, this will give you an idea of when to extend the flaps. If it is a default FS plane you can have a look at the technical specs of the plane and it will tell you the v speeds.

Pro Member Trainee
deanos63 Trainee

so (not being funny) how do you slow the plane down when you are in flight? is it just a simple case of reducing thrust? Sometime it is hard to reduce speed when you are desending, because naturally the plane is pointing nose down so it has a tendency to speed up. Is it correct procedure to extend the spoilers to give you some braking?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

deanos63 wrote:

so (not being funny) how do you slow the plane down when you are in flight? is it just a simple case of reducing thrust? Sometime it is hard to reduce speed when you are desending, because naturally the plane is pointing nose down so it has a tendency to speed up. Is it correct procedure to extend the spoilers to give you some braking?

Yes, you use thrust to decrease speed. If you find that you are decreasing altitude and you can't lower your speed, then you should start your descent earlier so you can decrease your desent rate close to 10000 feet and lower your speed 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

deanos63 wrote:

well what i do is a just extend the spoilers just a tad bit when im on aproach ive seen many pilots do it and even ask them why and they said it just to help slow them down....but dont hit the spoilers key just find the lever and pull it just a tid pit NOT TOO MUCH.

now on the flaps what i do is i normally count. depending on the aircraf tand my speed.

then when im about 50 to 75 yards away from the threshold it is then i normally set full flaps.

BUT THATS JUST ME.

and ive never had a problem with the way i do it.

never had a problem at all 😉

Pro Member First Officer

Is there some guide on how to use the flaps coz this thread isn't really helping me? What I mean to say is do you use flaps whilst your descending to touchdown or do you use flaps when maintaining altitude at 3000 feet, for instance, before making your glide to the runway or what?? I fly usually a Boeing 787-400, in a KLM. Where can I get information for the v speeds or whatever it's called?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

i kow of a auto flap gauge....ill try and find it........

......sorry i cant find it.

but if you are interested in it i can do a more in depth search

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Each airline may have slightly different procedures but here is a basic outline for the Default Boeing 747-400

1. Approach Localizer at reduced speed with partial flaps.
(210 KIAS with 10 degrees of flaps).
You can lower the flaps in the descent or level as long as you're below the max. flap extension speed for that flap position (Vfe).

2. As the Glideslope needle comes alive (starts to descend on the indicator), [Gear Down, select next flap position, arm Spoilers, set Speed (Vref)]. Allow aircraft to slow and while descending on the Glideslope, select rest of flap positions as speed slows below Vfe for each position. * Auto-Throttles don't work well, I'd manually control speed

3. Slow aircraft to correct Vref speed based on weight. You want to be fully configured for landing before 1,000 feet AGL. Set altitude alerter to missed approach altitude. Autopilot and Auto-throttles off before 200 feet AGL, land manually. 🙂

Maximum Flap Extension Speeds (Vfe)

01-----------280 KIAS
05-----------260
10-----------240
20-----------230
25-----------205
30-----------180

Default Boeing 747-400 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Vref Landing Speeds

Weight-Lbs.------------Flaps 30------------Speed-KIAS

880,000----------188
837,000----------182
794,000----------176
751,000----------170
708,000----------164
665,000----------159
622,000----------153
579,000----------147
536,000----------141
493,000----------135
450,000----------129

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the information. I'll try it that way. Will let you know if it works well.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...