Approach altitude?

I would like to know what altitude you should be at idealy when on approach such as for example, in a boeing 777 15 miles out, at what altitude should you be then and by how much should you decend before flaring? What altitude should be at say 1-5 miles out?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

You should start the approach at an altitude of between 2500 and 3000ft AGL.

You should then start descending according to the ILS indicator or the PAPI. The focus is more on the outside of the cockpit for approach that on the inside, in terms of descent rate so there aren't fixed altitudes for the descent. You should be aiming to descend at around -700fpm.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Everything above is correct. A easy way to think of it is 3:1. For every mile, lose 300 feet. It's done visually but here's a guide.

5 NM=1500 ft. AGL.
4 NM=1200
3 NM=900
2 NM=600
1 NM=300
🙂

cheers for all that 😀
One other thing is:
How many of you use thrust reverse upon landing? If I even attempt this I speed up the aircraft and run way down over the runway eventually crashing! Embarassed

I assume I need to slow down much more I usually land around 200-240 knots?

BashDaBish Guest

200-240 KIAS? What you flying! A space shuttle.

Approach speed depends on aircraft you are flying and the amount of flaps and weight etc. A typical example would be a 737 with flaps 30 and approach speed of 135KIAS

Thrust reverser is supposed to slow you down. Are you holding onto F2?

Hold down F2 to engage on touchdown and release to release at around 60-80 KIAS

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

cheers for all that 😀
One other thing is:
How many of you use thrust reverse upon landing? If I even attempt this I speed up the aircraft and run way down over the runway eventually crashing! Embarassed

I assume I need to slow down much more I usually land around 200-240 knots?

I think you need to take some of the lessons in FS9. 200-240 as Vref is suicidal. Reverse thrust is exactly that, it is thrust that is in a reverse direction, so you shouldn't speed up. Hold F2 and make sure you have AutoThrottle disengaged.

Embarassed 😳

thought it was bad Im always flying boeing 777s though?

Pro Member Chief Captain

No commercial aircraft has a Vref of above 200kts. Even a 777 will have a Vref of around 145-150kts at the most (with full flaps). I strongly recommend you start off with some smaller aircraft and at least look at the kneeboard before you fly 😉

99jolegg wrote:

You should start the approach at an altitude of between 2500 and 3000ft AGL.

You should then start descending according to the ILS indicator or the PAPI. The focus is more on the outside of the cockpit for approach that on the inside, in terms of descent rate so there aren't fixed altitudes for the descent. You should be aiming to descend at around -700fpm.

😉

whats Ils indicator?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks m8, im all new to fs so im still getting to know everything lol

thanks again

Luke 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks m8, im all new to fs so im still getting to know everything lol

thanks again

Luke 😀

No problems - everybody's new at some point 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...