ILS Approach

Diaper Rash Guest

I'm relatively new to Flight Sims (FS2004) and I'm eagerly trying to figure things out.

When on an ILS approach, I've been lined up to the runways, but the altitude has not never been right. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I'd like to learn more about doing GPS Approach and Landings. Where do I go for more info and what tips do you have?

THANKS..

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Below is a copy of FEM's great instructions for an ILS approach.

THIS IS FOR IFR FLIGHT!

1. When ATC says something liek "WifeBeater 767, you are 32 Miles away. Turn right heading 105, descend and mantain 2,500 feet, cleared ILS runway 36R Approach". You have to click on your MAP icon in your cockipt. Then, move your mouse over the destination airport. Mind you, the airport MUST have the ILS feathers (thes are the green things that point to the runway). Double click on the airport. A list will show up. Scroll down the list untill you see a chart that shows Runway numbers. FInd 36R, or whatever your runway is. You look to the right and see a radio frequency. We'll use 100.100 because its easy to remember. Don't forget the frequency.

2. Open up your Radio Stack, and enter in 100.100 in the NAV1 Radio, usually the righmost radio number is the one that can be messed with. After you enter it 100.100, using the mouse wheel or clickin it. Press the button that looks like thsi somewhat, its in the middle of the 2 radio displays <-----> That changes the NAV1 Radio frequency from whatever it was, to what it is now (100.100)

3.Turn on the NAV1 Radio by clicking the switch at the bottom of the radio stack, unless its already on, like with the LearJet.

4. If you have Autopilot, and you are using GPS to follow waypoints, switch the NAV/GPS button back to NAV!!!! YOU CANT FORGET TO DO THAT!!! YOU'LL BURN AND DIE IF YOU DONT!!

5. Follow ATC directions to approach. Now, when you approach the Runway, you will see the pink arrows near your attitude indicator move...usually Heading first, then Altitude. Simply fly in the directon and atitude of the pink arrows intull they center themselves, that means you're on the glideslope!

6. If you wanna use the autopilot to fly the approach, simply follow steps 1-4, then click the APPR button on the autopilot panel.

Also, if you are having problems with the height, it is more than likely because you are too fast. As a maximum guideline, the speed should be at about 170 KIAS (maximum) when you reach the glidescope, otherwise you have to pitch down instead of glide to keep on the glideslope.

I commonly use the GPS approach, for this, you need to:
1. Type in an airport you want to land at, in the waypoint section on the right hand side of the GPS.

2. Click the NAV/GPS switch to GPS. In the auto pilot area, click NAV, and the plane will follow the pretty pink line to the airport 😀 .

3. Once you get near the airport, click PROC and choose a runway you want to land at. I normally choose Vectors, because it is simple, but you can experiment. The plane will then track the small pink line appearing from the runway. You can then do your own approach of switch to ILS, using the steps for ILS from FEM above. Hope that helps

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...