Fly Away Simulation
Your #1 Source for Flight Simulators!

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Virtual Memory

TimH
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 pm 

Hi everyone

I recently upped my virtual memory to see what would happen (I have a big hard drive, and I can afford the space on it to be used for valuble memory)

And guess what, I found a huge boost in performance in the game.

If I am flying a freeware aircraft in 2d panel in an area where there isnt any add-on scenery (apart from new autogen trees and fs9wat.zip water textures) my frames are anything from 45-75!!

They used to be around 30-50, so this is a huge improvement!!

But I was wondering, is this too good to be true, are there any side effects to using virtual memory? Apart from taking up space on the hard drive, I know that but would be glad to take the risk if I could keep this performance up

So if anyone knows of any issues with using virtual memory please tell me!

Thanks

By the way my computer is

Pentium D (Dual Core) 3.00Ghz
1024MB (1GB) RAM
nVidia GeForce 6700XL

Tim
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:53 pm 

Munkeh

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:03 pm 

Yep it is a good little thing to do, or sometimes out the question if you're on a laptop with little HDD space.

Remember though, that'd it'd be better peformance if you buy real RAM. 2GB is lovely for all games Smile
KenTel
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:06 pm 

I try to have a partition, on another drive, these days on a SATA II for added speed. This partition for the sole use of a pagefile, size depending on what's available, and what you deem required. I have it at around 6Gb, and set pagefile to range of 1/2 GB to 4Gb. This also helps avoid fragmentation of the pagefile.

On the SYS partition I keep to the 2Mb to 50Mb range. I say this as SYS, because I run in Dual Boot mode. One is for normal everyday computing, the other is solely for FS9 and FSX when it arrives. I can control all the background tasks much easier this way. And have just purchased a couple of WD 250GBs SATA IIs to run in RAID mode, just for the simming apps.

I need a bigger case now, six HDs, and this ASUS Mobo will control 10 if required. 8 internal, and 2 external. Has 2 external SATA sockets. Plus the usual 2 IDE HDs. 12 drives in all, I wondered why our lights go dim when I boot up! Laughing Laughing
TTFN - Ken.

Danger! Part time mind at work!

Munkeh

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 pm 

KenTel wrote:
I try to have a partition, on another drive, these days on a SATA II for added speed. This partition for the sole use of a pagefile, size depending on what's available, and what you deem required. I have it at around 6Gb, and set pagefile to range of 1/2 GB to 4Gb. This also helps avoid fragmentation of the pagefile.

On the SYS partition I keep to the 2Mb to 50Mb range. I say this as SYS, because I run in Dual Boot mode. One is for normal everyday computing, the other is solely for FS9 and FSX when it arrives. I can control all the background tasks much easier this way. And have just purchased a couple of WD 250GBs SATA IIs to run in RAID mode, just for the simming apps.

I need a bigger case now, six HDs, and this ASUS Mobo will control 10 if required. 8 internal, and 2 external. Has 2 external SATA sockets. Plus the usual 2 IDE HDs. 12 drives in all, I wondered why our lights go dim when I boot up! Laughing Laughing

Your pc is a monster, you put my 7600gt to shame Crying or Very sad
KenTel
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:12 pm 

Well Munkeh, the truth is, when you get around my age, there's not a lot in life you can really enjoy. I have always enjoyed Flying, and what better way to spend your armchair time, than fs9, till we get FSX.

I have enjoyed many sports (Fast Cars, Motorcycles, and Women), and pastimes in my younger days, so I have few regrets. Just one actually, wish I had found fs9 earlier, Laughing Laughing
TTFN - Ken.

Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:31 pm 

KenTel wrote:

I have enjoyed many sports (Fast Cars, Motorcycles, and Women), and pastimes in my younger days, so I have few regrets. Just one actually, wish I had found fs9 earlier, Laughing Laughing

Off Topic!

Big Grin Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Cheers!

Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

Thats a real life Thumbs Up!
KenTel
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm 

GM72, very good, and I can't think of a follow up line. Question Idea Umm... Help! Hit with Chair Censored
TTFN - Ken.

Greekman72
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:38 pm 

KenTel wrote:
GM72, very good, and I can't think of a follow up line. Question Idea Umm... Help! Hit with Chair Censored

No need to dear kenTel Cheers! Wink
Charlie10
First Officer
First Officer

Pro Member

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:51 pm 

I have an older 18Gb SCII drive dedicated Virtual Memory on one of my computers. It makes graphic oreinted programs run remarkably faster. If you look for a SCII drive, be sure to have the card to go with it (if you don't already have it installed).
ppo235

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm 

Greetings all. I recently started getting out of memory crashes on my computer. I upped my virtual memory to 30 gb and still get this error. btw I recently updated to windows 10 from windows 7. My system is as follows:
intel core i7 4790, 16 gigs of 2333 ram and an invidia GT 760 w/2gigs of video ram. My c drive is a samsung 256 gb ssd but fsx is installed on my f drive which is 3 terrabites.... Thank you in advance for any help I can get in this matter.
RadarMan
Chief Captain
Chief Captain

Pro Member

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm 

ppo235 wrote:
Greetings all. I recently started getting out of memory crashes on my computer. I upped my virtual memory to 30 gb and still get this error. btw I recently updated to windows 10 from windows 7. My system is as follows:
intel core i7 4790, 16 gigs of 2333 ram and an invidia GT 760 w/2gigs of video ram. My c drive is a samsung 256 gb ssd but fsx is installed on my f drive which is 3 terrabites.... Thank you in advance for any help I can get in this matter.

What does the message say.

Radar