Speed or Mach

Kool Bus Guest

Hi everyone,

in a B747 i always take off with the autothrottle set on SPD 250 up to 10,000 ft. After 10,000 ft to FL20 i set it to 280, then FL20-30 300, FL30+ 320.

I know this isn't how a real pilot would do it, but can anyone tell me the speed or altitude cross over point were a pilot would switch from spd to mach??

many thanks

KB

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I usually set cruise speed (in mach) at around FL280 for the ascent and then change back to KIAS below FL280.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I set it at FL250, just because i like to get goign fast as soon as possible.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Kool Bus wrote:

Hi everyone,

in a B747 i always take off with the autothrottle set on SPD 250 up to 10,000 ft. After 10,000 ft to FL20 i set it to 280, then FL20-30 300, FL30+ 320.

I know this isn't how a real pilot would do it, but can anyone tell me the speed or altitude cross over point were a pilot would switch from spd to mach??

many thanks

KB

This depends on several factors such as weight, climatic conditions and of course the procedures stipulated by the airline.

johnlund Guest

I change from speed to mach when I change from area QNH to ISA and vis versa.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...