Need Instructions on using paint kits

Pro Member Trainee
RavenholmAlpha Trainee

HI Guys! I don't understand how I use paint kits. Can you give me instructions on how to use them properly. Thanks!

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

well what sort of paint kit? psd? you need photoshop/psp and an understanding of layers - take a look on the web, plenty of quality tutorials Wink

if flat bmp you'll need photoshop/psp/good drawing package with a knowledge of layers to really use it (you don't want to paint over it, under it! otherwise where do the lines/details go?

either way you'll need a plug-in for photoshop or a magic program called DXTBmp (take a look on google). this saves the bitmap into the appropriate format (888-8 = top, DXT3 = good, 444-4 = good sometimes, DXT1 = lowest). DXTBmp will also allow you to use apha layers that will usually dictate reflection but sometimes transparency depending on the part in questions. black= mirror/clear, white = matte/solid

Welverin Guest

Okay, speaking of help on this subject... I'm having trouble getting said detail out of paint kits from http://www.simviation.com/fs_paintkits1.htm. I know how to use layers pretty well what I can't figure out is how to get rid of the white area in the kit without killing the detail. I've used the magic wand and it even takes out large chunks of it(unless I'm just seeing things) any ideas? thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

remove white by applying the 'multiply' layer effect Wink

Welverin Guest

Cool! Thanks! 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...