At the end of my tether after 8 hours trying to install !!!!

norwichgooner Guest

Hi All

I got my copy today (standard version) and put the disc in my dvd drive at just gone midday. I have tried 6 or 7 times to install this game but to no avail Crying or Very sad

The installation starts ok but after about 45 minutes and 5 progress bars later i get the following error message

"The following file could not be found.Make sure it is accesible and retry or cancel
C:\...\TEXTURE\VEH_tRUCKS01_Im.dds

I press the retry button and after a couple of mins i get the same message again. I retry again and still get the same message. I have pressed cancel so the whole installation is cancelled and i try again from the start - i have done this 6 or 7 times and am so frustrated i feel like chucking the game in the bin

Can anyone give me any suggestions or advice please ? I do not have any other programs running whilst attempting the installation so can't see that FSX is conflicting with anything else.

I did have the demo version installed and have just removed it and have not tried to re-install FSX for the 7th or 8th time. Problem is it takes about 45 mins to get to the point where i get the error message which is why it has taken so long to get to this point

Please help if you can

Cheers

Answers 26 Answers

Jump to latest
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Guest

Ok when it asks this ,insert DVD 2 . it will propobly work ,if not then ... I dont know.

norwichgooner Guest

I dont even get that far

I get upto 5 progress bars then i get the error message - i cannot continue past this point so inserting disc 2 will not solve the problem

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

XXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:

Ok when it asks this ,insert DVD 2 . it will propobly work ,if not then ... I dont know.

If you want to be believed, you might want to consider a less offensive forum name.

norwichgooner Guest

Is your comment directed at me ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

norwichgooner wrote:

The poster's username between the first two posts you made 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

norwichgooner wrote:

Did I quote you? 😂 No, it was directed at the poster I quoted. 😉

A question occurs to me. Have you rebooted your machine?

norwichgooner Guest

hi crash
have re booted the pc and tried re-installing again. still same problem - gets to the same point and then i get the error message

i cant take the game back to the pc shop i bought it from becuase they will not refund or exchange pc software.

£40 down the drain by the looks of it

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Try a Restore Point to a previous day that FSX works without problems.
Just in case and if you are capable to do it open your case and clean your CPU's Heatshink and Fan.Maybe you have an overheating problem.
😉

norwichgooner Guest

I have not been able to install the game at any point so cannot restore it to when it was working............

the problem appears to be with disc 1 as the install program cannot find the file on th edisc and as PC shops in the UK will not exchnage pc software i am stuck with what appears to be a faulty disc

May i ask do you have window service pack 2 install? A friend had the same problem. So we install s/p 2 for microsoft updates and it install after that. Hope this helps

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

May i ask do you have window service pack 2 install? A friend had the same problem. So we install s/p 2 for microsoft updates and it install after that. Hope this helps

Fair point there Guest.

System Requirements
Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
Processor: 1.0 Ghz
RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
Hard Drive: 14GB
Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible
Other: DX9 hardware compatibility and audio board with speakers and/or headphones
Online/Multiplayer Requirements: 56.6 kbps or better for online play

norwichgooner Guest

hi

yes i have windows xp with sp2 installed. My PC is fully up to date with all the latest microsoft updates and every driver is also up to date so i can only think that the dvd i have is faulty.

I have emailed the big PC retailer where i got it from asking for a replacement - don't ask , don't get - hopefully i will get another copy so i can try again

it is now 11 and 3/4 hours since i started trying to put the game on my system so i am somewhat naffed off........... 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain

Assuming the DVD-ROM isn't scratched or defective, your DVD-ROM drive may have a problem when the lens is in that position. In other words, a blind spot. It may be as simple as the drive needing cleaning, or it may be defective.

Of course it may be that when the disk was made, there was a problem.

By any chance, do you have access to another computer you could try installing it on? If it installs on another computer, but not yours, the problem lies with your computer. BTW, if it does instll on another computer, don't activate it, but uninstall it afterward.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try this or also try to load it in safe mode.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641/en-us

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

I had a similar problem.

Turns out my DVD-ROM drive wasn't reading the DVD correctly.

Try either using one of them drive cleaning things, or if that fails, buy a new drive? (I had to replace mine)

Good Luck!

norwichgooner Guest

thanks for all your help and advice

i have persuaded my good lady wife that my dvd-rom is kaput and would therefore need a new PC to run FSX on 😀

I sold the idea to her that my sons pc can go into my daughters room, he can have my current pc (albeit with what appears to be a dodgy dvd rom) and i will get a new pc - i can then set them up with a wireless network so they can access the internet which will help them with their homework in the years to come - she agreed with me 😀

So the big question is - what pc do i go for !

I think i will go for dual core 2 processor and 2gb ram but the one thing i am unsure of is the grpahic card. I want to be able to run FSX as smooth as possible (i know that not even the most powerful pc will be able to cope with all sliders to the right) but if i can get half of that i will be happy. Most pc shops i have talked to tell me the way to go is buy a SLI Motherboard and have 2 nvidia cards runing in sli mode but i have seen a couple of posts on here that FSX does not support sli - am i therefore better off not going for 2 SLI cards ?. I was under the impression that 2 cards would make FSX look better than if only one card was being used but is this not the case ?
With my £1000 budget i can get the following sort of spec - any comments on whether FSX would run/look good with this sort of spec would be much appreciated
dual core 2 processor 2 x 2.4ghz
2gb ram
2 x nvidia 256mb 7600gt pci express cards
320 hdd

thanks again for your previous comments

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Get one top card right now and in a year or less get a DirectX 10 card if you are going to run Vista.
2 gig is fine for XP but 3 or 4 for Vista and FSX.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Well if you have a grand to spend then you can still get a pretty tasty machine.

But im not too hot on the ins and outs of processors/graphics cards and what have you.

I'm sure somebody here can advise you though. 😎

Tsgray70 Guest

Had very similar problems - After speaking to MS in the US (i'm in the UK) uninstall NERO or any other Disc writing software & codecs - it will work fine -

They have gone all out on the copy protection.

bobbyz Guest

Dual core processors won't work very well with FSX; infact Microsoft seem to think they actually cause performance to lag. What isn't clear is whether they will be supported when Vista comes out

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

norwichgooner wrote:

Most pc shops i have talked to tell me the way to go is buy a SLI Motherboard and have 2 nvidia cards runing in sli mode but i have seen a couple of posts on here that FSX does not support sli - am i therefore better off not going for 2 SLI cards ?.

WARNING: NEVER EVER believe ANYTHING you are told by a salesperson in a PC shop. And yes, they all are salespersons because selling is foremost on their mind - not customer satisfaction.

Now that we have this out of the way a huge burden has been taken off your shoulders.

Naturally, in the shops they will recommend SLI boards and Dual core chips because they are the most expensive at present.
I have a SLI board in my current PC and though my next PC will be running Vista and FSX, I will not opt for a SLI board again. It's overrated and a waste of money.
The SLI board by itself costs almost twice as much as a simpler board that is just as functional.
My philosophy is: The mobo must support everything I want to run, nothing more and nothing less. I don't need SLI. If I have money to burn, I'm better off to spend it on the fastest processor and best GFX card I can afford.
The only thing I must consider is that within the next two years or so I might want to upgrade CPU and GFX card. This means the motherboard I choose has to have those upgrade possibilities. This keeps it simple and after doing all my sums it won't cost me more in the long run than a SLI setup would cost.

Think about it. You opt for a SLI setup. The way technology progresses, it won't take a year for a new GFX card to be on the market that's faster than both of your current, identical cards combined. Wanna upgrade? What's it gonna be - just a single of those new, superfast cards (in which case you'd already be losing because the money you spent originally for the luxury of SLI lies dormant) or two new cards? Will you be able to afford it? And remember, there's a chance that upgrading from 2 identical, SLI enabled cards to another 2 identical, SLI enabled cards may require you to upgrade your CPU as well.

My theory when I got my SLI motherboard was: Just make do with one card for the time being without enabling SLI, and when you can afford it (given the fact that prices keep dropping) in six months get a second, identical card and enable SLI.
In short: That was my theory -- the reality turned out different. Another reason, last but not least is the fact that even though I have a large enclosure, the motherboard itself is already so cramped with only one GFX card installed, that I'm reluctant to try and squeeze a second GFX card onto it, for fear of damaging something.
And this is not even having thought about the additional cooling that would be required.

Of course, for many, if not the majority, SLI is still a novelty and it will remain so until they get burned. I've done my numbers, and I think I've got it figured out.

My next system will be based on a simple principle -- simple but flexible, meaning having upgrade options for CPU and GFX card. After one major upgrade it's time to think of the next rig anyway. What a waste 😳 -- but the only way to go 😀

I Aint Gettin On No Plane Guest

Listen to Tailhook, he knows what he's talking about! I did the very same, but by the time you can afford an identical grap crd then the cards are outdated and even 2 together in SLI would be slower than a top end graphics card on it's own, and usually more expensive. Also I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that 2 identical cards in SLI don't normally increase FPS by very much (like only a couple of FPS) but I may be wrong. Have a look at www.tomshardware.com

norwichgooner Guest

Thanks for your advice - in particular Tailhook who made some very sensible comments. Having taken those comments on board, i have ditched the sli idea and have been looking at having just one graphic card - with my budget, i can get the following sort of spec - can i have your comments on which you would go for - option A or option B (the new PC willbe used primarliy for games - in particular fs9 AND fsx - no video editing)

Option a
Intel dual core 2 e6700 2x2.66ghz
2gb ddr2 667mhz ram
Geforce 256mb 7900GT PCI EXPRESS card

or

Option b
as option a but with a Radeon 256mb X1950XT PCI EXPRESS CARD

or should i go for a less powerful processor and have a 512mb of the above cards ?

yr comments/opinions much appreciated
cheers all

Borat Guest

norwichgooner wrote:

Thanks for your advice - in particular Tailhook who made some very sensible comments. Having taken those comments on board, i have ditched the sli idea and have been looking at having just one graphic card - with my budget, i can get the following sort of spec - can i have your comments on which you would go for - option A or option B (the new PC willbe used primarliy for games - in particular fs9 AND fsx - no video editing)

Option a
2gb ddr2 667mhz ram

or

Option b

or should i go for a less powerful processor and have a 512mb of the above cards ?

cheers all

either of them cards are great, however make sure you purchase the 512mb versions. i recommend a 512mb x1900xt as its a fiar price drop from x1950 and not much diff spec.

www.overclockers.co.uk have great products at great prices, they also sell fair priced pre built machines.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (airbourne) First Officer

I have a 7600 gt i can fly with All on high with traget frame rate of 10

I Pity The Fool Guest

Borat wrote:

norwichgooner wrote:

Option a
2gb ddr2 667mhz ram

or

Option b

cheers all

either of them cards are great, however make sure you purchase the 512mb versions. i recommend a 512mb x1900xt as its a fiar price drop from x1950 and not much diff spec.

www.overclockers.co.uk have great products at great prices, they also sell fair priced pre built machines.

I'm not sure that the 512Mb cards are required yet, I know they weren't about 1 year ago, but they might be an advantage in FSX with larger textures etc, but I would look into it before buying one.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...