Unofficial Tweaks For FSX

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I haven't tried any yet, if you do please report back in this thread.

(dead link removed)

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3806/

I'm including this one found by Wing-Man.
Dual core processors: FS9 allegedly doesn’t take advantage of the second processor.
But here is a neat trick how to force FS9 make use of both processors on a dual-core
system: Start Flight Simulator, load your flight in windowed mode, then press
Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Windows Task Manager. Click the "Performance Tab" and
observe that FS9 is only using one processor. Unless you have tons of other programs
running, the left window will show a heavy load, the right graph a very low load. Click on
"Processes" and look for "fs9.exe" (if you click on "Mem Usage" it should be the first or
last item). Right-click "fs9.exe" and select "Set Affinity". Remove the check mark from
one CPU. Close the window, then repeat the process and select both CPUs again. FS9 will
now spread the workload over 2 processors. You should notice
a marked difference in performance. If this does not work on your PC, contact Microsoft
Support for the optional "dual-core hot fix".

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Wow - some very cool tweaks there! I'm tempted to download the autogen replacement, but I'm a skeered!!! 😂

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This looks good and sensible even from the distance of my fs9.
...safely stashed away for when I finally get fsx. Geek

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Good find RM - I'll definitely be looking at that when I get FSX 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

More tweaks a PDF.

Radar

Excellent information.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

More tweaks a PDF.

Radar

Excellent information.

To try and read and absorb it all in one sitting is impossible.

Amazingly detailed.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

More tweaks a PDF.

Radar

Looks great. I've got a lot of reading to catch up on Read Blink

Pro Member Chief Captain

I zeoed in on those tweaks I can do to the fsx.cfg, rather than the replacement autogen and similar things. Since I have a backup for the cfg, I can always und whatever doesn't work.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I zeoed in on those tweaks I can do to the fsx.cfg, rather than the replacement autogen and similar things. Since I have a backup for the cfg, I can always und whatever doesn't work.

Let us know if and how well anything works.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm trying something out now. will have results later. Too bad I have to reload FSX every time I change something.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I added the following line to the [MAIN] section of fsx.cfg
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.66
The idea was to give a little greater time slice for graphics to be drawn. The line isn not included by default, but may be left in with its default value of 0.33.

The only thing I observed is what appeared to be a smoother transition at the detailed texture radius.

Unrelated things I found that you can get away with without taking a performance hit. You can move the texture resolution to its maximum (17cm, I think). You can set road traffic at 35% and water traffic at 100%. I suspect the reason is that these take images of only a few pixels and don't move very rapidly, whereas a/c are more detailed and move in 3 dimensions.

Without a good graphics card, no matter what you set your water effects at you won't get the reflective surface. You will see water movement, but it won't be great.

Note that all thes things relate to a mediocre PC, not a high end, and certainly not a really low end.

Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

does that tweak work for all games or just FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Spoty101 wrote:

Try it and tell us, I don't have a Dual Core 2 yet.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Spoty101 wrote:

Maybe I've got it all wrong, but those tweaks seem to apply to FSX not fs9 😳

Guest Guest

I found this searching online. I gained about 5-8 fps. I've read that some people have gained much more and some people had no change at all.

Open up control panel and goto "system".
Click on "advanced" tab.
Click on "settings" under "performance".
Check the box that says, "adjust for best performance".

By doing this your computer will revert to a Window 98 type state. No fancy desktop or anything. All you need to do to change it back is to go back to the screen and check the box that was previously checked. It was probably the one that says, "Let windows choose whats best for my computer".

Post any positive or negative feedback and changes in FPS

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Does that duel processor problem happen with FSX?

doogle Guest

not much but a few FPS increase:

1. right click FSX shortcut icon
2. select properties
3. select compatability tab
4. tick disable visual themes
5. tick turn off advanced text services (leave if you require them)

click ok and start her up 🙂

doogle Guest

btw...the above tip does has the same effect has the previous tip, only it does not effect the whole system, just the game itself.

Pro Member Trainee
papab Trainee

www.highflightsimulations.com

More Tweaks for FSX and great support!
If you do not feel like you can muster up the courage to do it yourself-HighFlight will do it for a small charge

They also have great "Must Have Files" to enhance some effects and many great aircraft. A Super Connie that is one of the best freeware I have ever downloaded. It even has a Setup.exe file for easy loading into FSX

Give the site a try!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's dead huh.

Try these, he was a designer for FSX at Aces software.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/01/fsx-tweak-of-the-week-or-2.aspx

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Nelson Robison (photoshock) Trainee

Do any of these tweaks work for a Quad-core processor? Please let me know before I have to do the complete re-install of all my add-ons and program again. Thank you ever so much for your help and assistance

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

These were all put out way before Quads but since most are for the sim and have nothing to do with the CPU you should be able to use them.
I know you are having problems with getting SP2 but without it all the cores of your Quad won't be used.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

Here's a good, recent FSX tuning/tweaking guide by Nick Needham: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...