Upgrading memory

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I have 512 mb mem and I would like to upgrade to… and here is the question: I have just 2 slots with 2x256Mb . I don’t have any “good filling” to throw out 2 pieces of memory. With one I can upgrade one of my other computers. So the question is: there is any point to upgrade just to 516+256 mb

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Seideric Trainee

Rafi,

What OS are you using?

Seideric
win_xp pro

Pro Member First Officer

Seideric

It is me above
Rafi

Pro Member Trainee
Seideric Trainee

Hi Rafi,

Had you said you had Win98 I would have told you to stick to 512mb.

XP Pro I am told uses 128MB of ram to run, so adding more memory would be good, the more the better.

Here are a couple of sites to check out:

http://www.pricewatch.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

You can always trade or sell your extra memory to a buddy when you upgrade.

Let me know what you decide.

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

I would get a 1G stick, and if your 512 works with it, good. There's a lot of people who have experienced probs (inc me) with multiple sticks of memory, esp from different manufacturers. That way, your gig will work fine whatever, instead of rendering the whole lot useless...

Rambunctious

You are so right about problems with different type of sticks. I had aloft of it. Just the problem is a stick of 1G is a lot of money and I don't know how is the "cost/effectiveness" on my computer. 😉 For example: When I upgraded my computer from P-3 800 to P4 2.8 with the same video card and the same amount of memory (not the same speed)the contribution to frame rate was unbelievable.
That is my constant message to the forum: You have to think where to put your money. It is not all ways the video card or memory.

Pro Member First Officer

Of course the above from me Rafi

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

Man, you tried to run 2004 on a 800 p3??? 😳

The 2.8 should give you roughly 2x the framerate as the 800 all others constant, but if you're running XP with 512M, then the memory will become a bottleneck. Those hardware guides listed in the "What vidcard" threads have some good info on upgrading.

You're right, though - it's always good to borrow bits & pieces if you can to check out if you really need them.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...