Memory leak

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

My simulator is constantly crashing to a black screen, followed by a Microsoft message saying it has encountered an error and needs to close. This will happen at any point from before take-off to having landed and taxiing to gates.

Microsoft have been trying to help, logging onto my PC and checking the graphics set-up, motherboard BIOS etc etc. They have however run-out of options and cannot fix the problem.

They did mention however that it may be due to a memory leak, where certain files were not embedding themselves in the RAM. Has anyone experienced a memory leak before and can advise the best way to solve it? I see there are lots of on-line companies who will run a free trial on your PC, but no doubt they will all find a memory leak and say you have to pay a subscription to fix it (which it probably won't)!!

Rich
PS. I got some interesting views about FSX direct from Microsoft themselves!

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Rich,

I can't fix your memory leak, but offer this: last time I had a similar problem, the local techies said I had to replace some bad RAM. I did, and the problem seems to have gone away.

But I really am curious about what MS told you regarding FSX? You have no doubt read all the threads posted here. Is there anything you can share that would be useful to know?

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

Hi Yogi Berra

I've spoken to the repair company (as my PC is under warranty) and they are sending over a prgramme by email to run a diagnostic report for my memory. Fingers crossed it shows an error!!

When I asked the guy from Microsoft about FSX (he currently uses FS2004), he said it was more of a game than a simulator. You get tasks and adventures where you can score points, and it is easier to fly. So what do you think?

Rich

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Trying to stay on topic, rather than veer over to another out of place discussion of FSX, I am surprised MS used the term memory leak in that manner. It usually applies to a program not releasing memory it is not using, resulting the program using more and more memory, the longer it is running.

What you are describing sounds suspiciously lake a bad RAM chip. There are a number of programs that will check your RAM.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Could I suggest using this free checker.........

http://www.memtest86.com/

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

I used the memtest and am also running FS2004 at the moment without one of the memory cards. So far it has run for 2 hours without crashing, so am hoping to let it complete its flight (still another 6 hours to go).

If this proves succesful, then I will swap the memory cards and see if it crashes, therefore proving a fault in this particular card.

Keeping my fingers crossed and will you know the results!!

Rich

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Good luck, hope you get it sorted. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Rich, Not to beat this dead horse even further, but you can do a memory slot check to find out how much memory you can install on your machine, and then do a max upgrade that fits your budget. I think you will find FS much more enjoyable with more memory on board, and memory is not all that expensive today. IMHO.

Pro Member First Officer
RichT First Officer

At last I think the problem has been solved.

Tried running FS2004 with one memory card, it crashed after 4 hours. Tried it with the other and have now completed 3 flights, with different aircraft, location and length of time (the maximum was 8hours +), and not a single problem. Hardware is still under warranty so will be replacing the faulty memory with a new one (both are 1GB, so no need to upgrade to more).

Hopefully now I can enjoy FS2004 as it was meant to be 😀

Thanks for the advice all.

Rich

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...