Help Me with my future computer specs please

Pro Member Trainee
Tyler Miller (millertime) Trainee

Its not about all the specs, its more or less between two processors. Ive heard that core 2 duo isnt amazing, and so im not set on core 2 duo anymore, i would get it, or i would get pentium 4. I want to run FSX good.

here are exact cards

Intel® Pentium® 4 660 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB

or should i get

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB

Im thinking the pentium 4 is better because of more ghz, but core 2 duo is new tech, idk. Help? Keep in mind that this is for a laptop, and yes, both are available for the laptop im customizing. I just want to know which.

EDIT: i may get amd because it allows me to get dual 256mb nvidia geforce 7900's. so AMD, PENTIUM, OR CORE 2 DUO is the major question here, im starting to rule out core 2 duo.

Last edited by Tyler Miller (millertime) on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ever considered an AMD instead of a Pentium?

Pro Member Trainee

no, mainly because im not familiar with it, but im 100 percent willing to get one if they are better, its very possible in my laptop customization, actually, its better if i were to get that cuz i get more specs, but is it better?...if so, which one should i get then?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm getting Core 2 6700.

Read https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21628/dual-core-processors/

Read http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
Notebook, your limited on video card selection. 🙄

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

i dont believe so, im getting dual 512 geforce 7900's ....1 gig of mem for good nvidia graphics card

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

How much memory, remember Vista is memory hog, 3-4 gigs?

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

3 gigs

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😳 Who is buiding this monster and how much.
If you are going to spend that much why not a desktop.

Radar

Flyer4000 Guest

Intel Core 2 Duo is the fastest processor on the market and has a performance lead over AMD at the moment.
Higher Mhz is not a true indication of performance because the new Core 2 Duo is much faster than the older pentium 4 Dual core. If you can afford then the Core 2 Duo is the best processor to buy.

Pro Member Trainee

ok thanks for the info
and im getting a laptop because im a college student, most of the time im not going to be in the dorm. Plus, that laptop is more like a portable desktop any way lol.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I see.
The reason I ask is that a desktop is usually cheaper and much more powerful and you can configure it easier.
You do want a larger h/d because of FSX and your graphic work.
That's not even taking into consideration what type of software you need for school work.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Radar

I just upgraded from a Pentium 630 to dual-core and the performance increase is two-fold......The Pentium 660 is still a very powerful processor if you have not experienced it...

Stay well clear of SLI video cards....performance is sometimes lower than a single card and you will have problems after problems with drivers being buggy and beta....I would not bother buying any top-end video card now because DX10 video cards are on the horizon.......buy a 7600 for peanuts and performance for now.

I have a 6600GT with 128MB and a Dual-Core Pentium with 1GB Ram....FSX gives me an average 30FPS at medium settings.....FS9 (2004) gives me 60Fps at Maximum settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Flyer4000 wrote:

Intel Core 2 Duo is the fastest processor on the market and has a performance lead over AMD at the moment.

What moment are you referring to?

If you read up on developments on a daily basis you'll find that it's a tug-of-war. What yesterday appeared to be the truth is not the truth today. So give or take a few benchmark test results, which, in real life are absolutely meaningless anyway, AMD is still giving the best bang for buck.

Pro Member Trainee

can someone explain to me why a core 2 duo 2.0ghz is better than a pentium 4 at 3.6, almost double the ghz? i just want to know because it seems like more ghz the better because thats how they go up in price.

Flyer4000 Guest

More Ghz means nothing because the Core 2 Duo is much more efficient chip than the older Pentium 4 dual core. Many people still go by clock speeds, but AMD proved long ago that high clocks don't mean a faster processor.

Tailhook
I have nothing against AMD because my desktop currently has a 4400X2 and it performs even better because I overclocked the chip to a 4800X2 speeds. However if I was in the market for a new chip then the Core 2 Duo would be my prefered chip. Best bang for Buck? AMDs FX-60 is still retailing at a ridicolously high price tag and yet cheaper core Duo 2 processors outperform it. I'm not a AMD or Intel fanboy and have no bias to either one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Flyer4000 wrote:

What moment are you referring to?

If you read up on developments on a daily basis you'll find that it's a tug-of-war. What yesterday appeared to be the truth is not the truth today. So give or take a few benchmark test results, which, in real life are absolutely meaningless anyway, AMD is still giving the best bang for buck.

Living in the past. 🙄

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html

Radar

millertime wrote:

can someone explain to me why a core 2 duo 2.0ghz is better than a pentium 4 at 3.6, almost double the ghz? i just want to know because it seems like more ghz the better because thats how they go up in price.

Core2 duo use a more powrful pipeline than the slower Netburst Pentium cpu's.

You have a PC with internet access don't you ????.....go to Intel website all the info is there.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...