Caribou

Pro Member Trainee
Mitchell Delaney (minicaptain) Trainee

hi everyone, i downloaded mike stones DHC-4 Caribou and, i dont know if its just my problem but when i go into reverse thrust it does nothing and when i let go the engines switch off.
Also, i downloaded a RAAF repaint (cos the original one it only had the USAF) and it still had the extra black thing sticking out the front when the pics didnt have it and i know the RAAF doesnt have those on the front.

One last thing, the STOL characteristics werent that good either, now this is the first time i wasnt too impressed with one of mike stones a/c.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

mike's work is pretty 'slap dash' - bang them out quick and i remember other models having no reverse thrust - it's all in the config.

the black thing? perhaps need to use a different model varient? Read

Pro Member Trainee

mikes was the only freeware caribou i could find, and thats a shame cos i love that a/c Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

As far as I know, the Caribou has reciprocating engines and doesn't feature reverse thrust. Some were converted to PT6 Turboprop engines in recent years but the stock aircraft has piston engines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-7_Caribou

Pro Member Trainee

well, its just that recently i went to a military airshow and the caribou demonstrated a landing and it defenately had reverse thrust as i could A: hear it and B: see it stop and when it did it started going backwards.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

minicaptain wrote:

well, its just that recently i went to a military airshow and the caribou demonstrated a landing and it defenately had reverse thrust as i could A: hear it and B: see it stop and when it did it started going backwards.

It was converted to a turboprop as I stated above. The original aircraft didn't have reverse thrust and that's probably the model you have in FS.

Pro Member Trainee

oh ok, well, if anyone knows any freeware caribous plz guide me to them

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

minicaptain wrote:

One last thing, the STOL characteristics werent that good either, now this is the first time i wasnt too impressed with one of mike stones a/c.

So it's gonna be either Alphasim's payware or Mike Stone's freeware. I found something you might want to look at since you were disappointed with the STOL characteristics. ➡

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=123.zip&Author=&CatID=root

I won't go into great details here, but I find the new aircraft.cfg and .air files (STOL) of interest. This could just be the icing on the cake. As you can see this package includes not only an updated Caribou, but also Vladimir Zhyhulskiy's C-123 which I had a good look at only yesterday - beautiful aircraft.
There are also texture files by Heather Sherman if you want to try your hand at repainting ➡

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=c7blnk.zip&Author=&CatID=root

I have no idea what kind of sounds the Caribou packages come with, but I found a nice set for the C-123 ➡

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=dornier&CatID=fs2004snds&Go=Search

Pro Member Trainee

cool find with STOL .cfg file there 👍 i tried it and it was much better, in the old one, if u fully extended flaps like they do in real life for a short takeoff the plane would actually stay on the ground longer but now it so cool. Group Wave

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Maximum flaps for short filed takeoff in the Caribou is 25 degrees as far as I can tell. Here is a site that you may like. 🙂
http://www.dhc4and5.org/CV2.html

Pro Member Trainee

that is one cool site! 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

if you're looking for stol you want the bee:

http://www.forum-design.co.uk/air/reviews_show.php?id=10

(though you won't get above take off pace for most aircraft 😛)

you want it anyway to be fair, it's brilliant.

Pro Member Trainee

Is that beer in the first aid box?, haha i like it! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Let's think outside the box... a STOL aircraft doesn't have to be one of those little paper airplanes that scare you just by looking at them 😁

You can fly a STOL aircraft and have fun at the same time by opting for one of the big mamas:

C-130

C-17

Il-76

An-72

...to name but a few. Jetfighters? - Strictly speaking, yes 😎

Pro Member Trainee

Let's think outside the box... a STOL aircraft doesn't have to be one of those little paper airplanes that scare you just by looking at them

the caribou isnt exactly that tailhook, and its got the best STOL performance out of those planes u listed, i just like that plane, for some reason, probably cos my uncle flew them when he was in the airforce
Oh by the way, once when my uncle was flyin the caribou, my aunt was strapped up and got to hang out the back of it when the cargo ramp was open 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

minicaptain wrote:

Let's think outside the box... a STOL aircraft doesn't have to be one of those little paper airplanes that scare you just by looking at them

the caribou isnt exactly that tailhook, and its got the best STOL performance out of those planes u listed, i just like that plane, for some reason, probably cos my uncle flew them when he was in the airforce
Oh by the way, once when my uncle was flyin the caribou, my aunt was strapped up and got to hang out the back of it when the cargo ramp was open 😳

I can assure you minicaptain I didn't have the Caribou in mind when I referred to 'paper airplanes' - sometimes you just have to read the whole thread and click on the provided links if you want to get the gist of a message 😉

How is your aunt now? Help! 🙂)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...