Its superman, its a bird, NO! ITS A F/A-18 HORNET!

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

Well, at about 9:30 in the morning, i was downstairs watching some weird american cartoons (Seeing that there was nothing to watch as i just finished watching superbad) When i heard a roaring noise. I ran out the house into my back yard. I saw nothing. So i decided to stay there and shoot some hoops and wait if it comes back.

While i pathetically attempt to play basketball, i see something in the distance. It was an F/A-18 hornet. It flew over, circled, flew over, circled and repeated this over 20 times. This was in Adeliade this morning.

I was wondering why this was happening, it is Australia day today and i thought that might be a reason why the pilots are doing this but i would like to know the real reason. If there is anyone who knows, please tell =)

Thanks.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

think thats awesome? i live in a small town and we get thousands of air traffic where i live and some are military but you wanna know something awesome?

my mom is part of the town council and i was at a fundraiser when i hear this noise and i look back and boom a Chinook helicopter comes flying over at tree level i could even see the pilots face! i got a my blood started pumping and i waved to the pilot and he waved back i could even see his smile it was awesome

also when they were working on the powerplant there was 3x more air traffic and i got to see 2 F-15's and a Kc-135 strato tanker (flyboy i think you saw that the military traffic)

btw dont think your the only one getting air traffic! i constantly see air traffic

im jealous because you got to see a f-18

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

OMG!! That is awesome!! The only time i saw F-15's when i was at my grandparent's house in Japan. About 5 or 6 of them flew over. And those f/a-18 i saw were VERY low. And i also found out that it was circling to wait for its signal to fly over elder park because it was due to do a fly over for the australia day concert.

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

awesome i thought it was illegal for pilots to fly over rural areas at low altitude but one of my cousins dads was a pilot and he was the guys who scrambled the jets during the cold war and he told me military pilots can do almost anything with permission i also have a uncle who flew bombers and he even saw the meshersmit 109

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

In my neck of the woods we get stratotankers from the 171st ANG refueling wing, and C-130s from the 911th Airlift, both based at KPIT. Occasionally the A-10 guys will be in town for the weekend, and of course show off over the suburbs on their way in.

Every year the hilight is Wings Over Pittsburgh, and from my office I can see the headliners practice before the weekend, whether it be the Blue Angels (my favorites) or the Thunderbirds (what the heck, also my favorites). It NEVER gets boring for me... The only thing that saddens me is I will no longer see my beloved Tomcat at the shows anymore.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

belgeode wrote:

...The only thing that saddens me is I will no longer see my beloved Tomcat at the shows anymore.

The Iranian air force still flies them. Wanna go halves in buying a second hand one? Heck, we know how to fly them, right?
For the necessary spare parts we'll use Welshflyer's connections with the British Repair Brigade. Britons can fix anything with a screw driver, a length of wire and some duct tape 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

So sayeth their most famous agent McGuyver...

I got 15 dimes and a piece of lint... will that help?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...