BUILDING A FLIGHT SIMX PC - ANY IDEA'S WELCOME

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Graver (barkoman) Trainee

Hey all, I have a PC that is four years old...basically time for a new one. I love X so much that I am building a new PC to specifically meet the needs for it. I am concerned that once I get the PC, it will be lacking in some areas. I want to be able to play X with the topographic details set at max, cars on the road, etc without getting those annoying jumpy and blurred screens - while keeping the price within reason. I know X is a little beyond technology right now. What do you recommend?? 7200 RPM drive or 10,000?? Will X run good on a 7200 drive? Stuff like that. Here's what I am looking at:

THE BRAINS AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor S939 San Diego 2.8GHZ 1M L2 Cache 90NM

MAINBOARD ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe ATX S939 Xpress 3200 Crossfire DDR 2PCI-E16 2GBLAN SATA2 Sound Motherboard
(A8R32-MVP-DLX)

MEMORY Mushkin HP2 PC2-5300 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-667 CL 4-4-4-10 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel

HARD DRIVE Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA 10KRPM 16MB NCQ

VIDEO CARD BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 575MHZ 768MB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card

Sound card, etc all with Vista

ANY help would be tremendously appreciated.

Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Graver (barkoman) on Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
guest 12 Guest

hmmm. thats a pretty good system but u might not be able to run fsx to full potential. I suggest getting a dual core prossesor, a sound card, maybe one more gig if your going to upgrade to vista for maxixum performance

Pro Member Trainee
Flying-Scot Trainee

Like you, I too want a kick ass computer to fly FSX. I looked around and came up with this specification.

1. Case: Shuttle Barebones computer SN27P
The shuttle barebones is small and compact and makes it ideal if you don't want a monster computer case standing on the floor, also you can build it yourself adding to your fun.
2. Processor: AMD 64 bit 3800 Dual Core + SKT939
3. Hard drive: Maxtor 6L300S) 300GB 16MB Cache SATA Diamond Max 10
4. Optical Drive: Liteon Beige DVD R/RW 16x16
5. Software: Windows Vista Ultimate
6. Graphics card: Radeon X850 XT - PTC Express x 16 - 256 Mb
7. Sound card: Very good sound card on board.
8. Monitors: 2 off x Neovo F-419 19"
9. Memory: As much as you can get - or afford
Total cost about £1500 or $3000
Please note. The bigger the wallet the better the computer.
Check out the shuttle site and Good Luck.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Get the biggest (at least 750w) power supply, brand name that you can afford.
Minimum 2 gigs ram, 3-4 would be best (Vista will eat more than a gig).
Easy on the video card, wait for the DX 10 cards to drop in price.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Graver (barkoman) Trainee

Now that I've had more time to read other posts, I see that 2 Gig's of RAM is good but 4 seems more ideal. Radarman, I think I might just take your advice and wait for the price to drop. I wonder....just what would it take to run X with full detail. It sounds like we may be more than a year away from seeing any hardware that can perform. Thanks for the help so far.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

You don't need to....NVidia latest video cards are Direct X 10 capable. I have the GeForce 6800GT video cards and according to their website, they will handle Direct X 10 with no problems. Also I would get a NForce motherboard to support that Nvidia Video card. In fact, I use two video cards on a SLi ready motherboard.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The hardware is here and expensive for a card that will run DX 10, which isn't ready for Vista yet and no final date is set.

Radar

GundamWZero wrote:

You don't need to....NVidia latest video cards are Direct X 10 capable. I have the GeForce 6800GT video cards and according to their website, they will handle Direct X 10 with no problems. Also I would get a NForce motherboard to support that Nvidia Video card. In fact, I use two video cards on a SLi ready motherboard.

I thought that FSX didn't support SLi

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...