mcmxl's New System

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

I just put together a new system I bought off of tigerdirect.com.
It has a PCChips P23G V3.0 motherboard with a built in sound card and graphics card. I have a 200gig hard drive and 1gig of RAM, and a Celeron D 352, 3.2 Gighrtz. It runs great except it crashes sometimes during a flight. I am using two sticks of 512mgb of DDR RAM and a 350watt power supply. I know the power supply is low for the board and one stick of ram is 400mghrtz and the other is 330mghrtz. Could this power supply and the different speeds of ram be part of the problem?
BTW I am running FS2004 again on high settings and it runs great...20FPS 😀
sorry about the guest post. Embarassed

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

nice machine. Perhaps a FS reinstall could help? Or maybe, wiping out the fs9.cfg?

Hope this helps

Cheers
BB

Pro Member Trainee
scottman Trainee

I also used two 512mb sticks of main memory. One was 400mh and the other was 333mhz. I've since replaced the 333mhz, but I think that can't be the source of a 'crash' (program crash or system crash?). As for the 350 watt powersupply, its probably very adequate for a motherboard with inboard graphics chip and sound chip. I use a 425W Pentium4 capable powersupply. Your best bet to isolate the program failure problem is to press 'Q' to shut off the sound output. If failures still occur try going into CMOS and start at the system default setting and work your way up until the problems start again. USB devices use wattage, as do USB flash cards.
But if the problem is really a program crash, well I'm missing the point. The celeron is not my favorite microprocessor. Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

That system is actually quite inadequate for FSX... however, there are some things that you can do to take some of the strain off of the procesor and memory... Get stand alone Sound and Graphics cards... this will also free up more memory to your system... you are trying to use a single gig of memory to support the Processor, Sound, Video, and THEN FSX which is very RAM hungry.... When you use so much of the ram up, it can cause crashes... and YES, ram should ALWAYS be matched. Never mix speeds.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

That system is actually quite inadequate for FSX... however, there are some things that you can do to take some of the strain off of the procesor and memory... Get stand alone Sound and Graphics cards... this will also free up more memory to your system... you are trying to use a single gig of memory to support the Processor, Sound, Video, and THEN FSX which is very RAM hungry.... When you use so much of the ram up, it can cause crashes... and YES, ram should ALWAYS be matched. Never mix speeds.

Good advice

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...