Looking for a complete MD-11 package for FSX

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Hey everyone -

I am looking for a complete MD-11 package for FSX. Prefer a cargo version of the aircraft. There is one listed on FlyAway but it does not work.

Thanks

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

https://www.simshack.net/

I dont know if your wanting to pay for one but thats the only one i found.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Hey Astrosteve, the one that b3mmredm provided a link for might be worth keeping an eye on - didn't know Aerosoft was in the process of making one. I've got some Aerosoft add-ons, one word: Quality.

I and many others have been waiting for the PMDG MD-11 which was originally scheduled for fs9, but since FSX has already been shipped, they probably decided to do a thorough rework and put a decent, FSX product on the market instead.

In the meantime I've been using the iFDG Md-11s in FSX - working great - needless to say you'll have to use one of the FSX panels, tripleseven or 737 - both work.

BTW, if you haven't used the iFDG MD-11s in the past, make sure you get the FDE updates as some of the repainters don't bother much about such details. 😎

Addendum: Almost forgot, you did say COMPLETE. Off course the iFDG sounds are aliased to the default 737, but the soundsets I've imported to FSX work perfectly and there's more than one to choose from - just give us a holler.

Pro Member Trainee
EGNRflyer Trainee

There is one by sky simulations. But a word of waring i have not been able to install it in fs9. and i have not tried to in fsx as yet. It is payware but it does look very good in the screen shots

Happy flying

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

Wow, Thanks for all the support guys!!!! Listen I am not the greatest at attemptin to add aircraft in FSims. I struggled early on with FS9. Hey Tailhook can you send me instructions on how to correctly install that MD-11 you are using in FSX. And how to correctly add the 737 panel and sounds.

Thanks Everyone!!!

AstroSteve

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

astrosteve wrote:

Wow, Thanks for all the support guys!!!! Listen I am not the greatest at attemptin to add aircraft in FSims. I struggled early on with FS9. Hey Tailhook can you send me instructions on how to correctly install that MD-11 you are using in FSX. And how to correctly add the 737 panel and sounds.

Thanks Everyone!!!

AstroSteve

Sure thing - but first the one mentioned by EGNRflyer: Did a bit of digging and found that they have three cargo liveries in the package - FedEx, UPS and Lufthansa. It appears that the original model was developed way back in the fs2k2 days and consequently updated and updated and updated... you get the drift. Check it out if you want; there are fancy stairs and groundvehicles but those gimmicks speak for themselves. Personally I wouldn't spend money on it.

Let's get to work then:

First download https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2424/fsx-fedex-cargo-mcdonnell-douglas-md-11f/

Next extract contents into a TEMPORARY folder NOT straight into the Sim.

Inside your TEMPORARY folder you will now find two .txt files which, for our purpose you can ignore, and an 'autoinstaller'.
Run the autoinstaller by double-clicking on it BUT when you get to the "Choose an Installation Folder..." prompt, browse to Desktop and Make New Folder and call it: McDonnell Douglas MD-11. Click OK and continue with the installation wizard.

Finally you should have the Folder you created "McDonnell Douglas MD-11" on your desktop containing everything you need to begin with.

Before we move anything into FSX, let's sort everything else out.

Open your McDonnell Douglas MD-11 folder and delete the INSTALLATION .txt document and the Uninstal thingy.
Now extract the contents of the Effects.zip folder. Keep opening the resulting Effects folders until you get to the actual effects: three of them, flap, wingtip and tchdwn. Copy and paste those three .fx effects into your main Effects folder ie.: Microsoft Flight Simulator X / Effects.
Now you can delete all the leftover effects folders with or without contents from your "McDonnell Douglas MD-11" folder as we've already taken care of the effects. (We're trying to make the whole catastrophy easier on the eye 😉 )

Retain the remaining 8 items, 5 folders, the .air file, the aircraft.cfg and the readme.

Now open the panel folder. Inside is the panel.cfg file. Open it with notepad and change the text from

[fltsim]
alias=B777_300\panel

to

[fltsim]
alias=b737_800\panel

Almost done -- we want a cool sound for our MD-11 though. I'm using this one ATM ➡ https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2675/fs2004-mcdonnell-douglas-md-11-sound-set-v2/

It's a GE soundset but there are PWs available as well if you wanna get more realistic. Again, extract the contents of the .zip file and keep opening the resulting folders until you arrive at the one with the simple name 'sound'. Only that 'sound' folder as it is has to go into our "McDonnell Douglas MD-11" folder -- overwrite when prompted.

Your aircraft is complete!!

Move the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 folder to:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X / SimObjects / Airplanes. Go fly. The aircraft will show up under manufacturer=Fedex Pro. This and other lines can be edited to the individual's liking but we better leave this for another time.

Any probs, questions -- keep asking, I'll drill your ears 'til you get a toothache. I know I probably have explained procedures that didn't need explaining. For that I apologize.

If you wish to expand your iFDG MD-11 fleet with more textures and different models there's plenty to be had. Keep in mind though, that many repainters don't pay attention to such minor details as FDE updates or texture updates. iFDG in their wisdom have a file just for that purpose in case you do want to get deeper into it.

It looks more complicated than it is Hack

...and since I'm a sound buff, I have more than one MD-11 soundset in my arsenal... 😀

Pro Member Trainee
EGNRflyer Trainee

Hey Tailhook have to agree with you on the skysimulations MD11 a big mistake on my part buying it. It is a nightmare to install! my advice to any body is not to buy this product if you are unsure of yourself in terms of aircraft installing. Also thanks for the post i'm going to use it myself.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

EGNRflyer wrote:

Hey Tailhook have to agree with you on the skysimulations MD11 a big mistake on my part buying it. It is a nightmare to install! my advice to any body is not to buy this product if you are unsure of yourself in terms of aircraft installing. Also thanks for the post i'm going to use it myself.

Just goes to show that the claim 'Payware is better than Freeware' has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

The worst thing one can do is to impulsively buy an add-on in a shop just because the pictures on the box look nice and the publishers make outrageous claims in the description.

Back to the freeware MD-11s -- many like the Overland Simmers effort. I personally can't see what the fuss is about - sure it comes with a panel but so what, there are better panels available to retrofit the iFDGs with.

BTW if you like large Trijets, the SGA DC-10s are a delight despite their age. 😀

Flint Guest

PMDG are making a new MD-11 package, but it's only under construction 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...