ILS Aproaches and Landings,.........can't get it done

Fustrated Guest

Hi,

I really enjoy reading all the posts and great advice on this forum, but I have a problem I seem to be unable to find a solution.

I have had all the FS editions that came out, last one was FS 2004, where I was able to do ILS Landings without any problem. Now I upgraded to FS X and even had to buy a hardcore gaming computer to get it to work since my Laptop didn't cut it graphiccard wise,.........and now it seems I turned into an idiot, since all the mechanics I used before don't seem to work at all.

I read Jon's Guide on the Heathrow approach, tried to do everything exact to the word, and failed miserably.

I entered the way to Heathrow in GPS and flew it up to 20 mls out with GPS, the I punched in course 93, Frequency 110.30 for runway 9L landing, switched from GPS to NAV, then activated APP for Aproach, and nothing happened, plane flew straight on, didn't sink, I can't even pull the glidepath visual help up, so that I could manualy fly through the hoops.

As i said I do all this in FS 2004 and no problem I get a visual glidepath, plane lands itself, APP aproach button pressed, plane turns in when it's supposed to be, I can basically fly and land ILS perfectly.

In FS X I can't and have no idea what's wrong or what I do different.

Maybe you guys can enlighten me. I am ready to quit .

Thanks a lot.

Take care.

JV

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

You made sure the AP switch was on and that you have selected the NAV button?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

JV,

- Does the altitude hold automatically disengage when you press the APP button? Sometimes I have to completely disengage the AP and it's functions and then click back what I want. If it doesn't get rid of Alt Hold (if you have it on) then disenage it.

- When are you hitting the APP button, i.e. how far from the airport? ILSs don't have unlimited capability - and they are indeed what the name states...a landing system, not a part of the flight plan as such. You'll end up tracking false GS lobes if you engage it too soon.

- What speed are you flying? You'll lose capture pretty quick if you aren't below 180 KIAS (maximum).

- What aircraft, is it default?

Sounds like you have the most part correct, but it doesn't take much for it to go haywire.

Good luck!

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

if you have filed an IFR plan, the ATC usually brings you in at an angle to the runway. If you've been flying for a while and using autopilot, you have probably been following the GPS track. What I've found works is this...

once ATC starts giving you heading to follow, switch from GPS to NAV and click on heading. Dial in the heading (not runway course) that are given to you. Make sure as you start getting positioned into final, that you have dropped your speed and deployed flaps etc. Now, when ATC tells you to intercept the localizer, you'll be given one last heading to follow. Dial it in and then switch on the APP button. HDG and ALT (and maybe SPEED depending on what you're flying) should stay lit and you must be in NAV (not GPS). You really shouldn't need to anything else right away. The first thing that will happen is the the AP will line you up with the runway (providing you have the correct course dialed in the OBS and the runway's ILS is in the active window of the Nav 1 radio). When this happens the HDG light will go out. As you intersect the glide slope, the ALT light will go out and you'll begin to sink. At this point your gear should be down, full flaps, and you should be at the correct speed (depends on the plane, but maybe around 160 - 170 KIAS). From here you can either look at the PAPI or you main display to stay on the glide slope. At this point I'll turn off the Auto Throttle and use engine power to maintain glide slope. At 200' or so off the runway I'll cut power and turn off the auto pilot.

I hope that helps.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

"I can't even pull the glidepath visual help up, so that I could manualy fly through the hoops. "

Lol! I have a craaazzzy idea! Why not try to fly it using the localizer/glideslope indicators! You might actually gain a skill but you take the good with the bad.

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

I can't get the glide hoops to show up either, so I've been using the glide slope indicators. Seems to work pretty well.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

rowcoach wrote:

I can't get the glide hoops to show up either, so I've been using the glide slope indicators. Seems to work pretty well.

Visual Path Indicator Example of setup
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/27508/visual-flight-path/#170394

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...