Exiting traffic pattern

M15A Guest

Lets say I want to take off in my Cessna 172, departe to the north, flying VFR at an altitude of 2000 feet. I contact ATC and they direct me to runway 24.

So now I taxi to runway 24, take off, and then what?

Should I fly the traffic pattern departure leg, crosswind leg, downwind leg and after flying the downwind leg fly straight on and make a small turn to go north?

And if I have to fly the traffic pattern, when can I start climbing to 2000 feet instead of flying the traffic pattern hight of 1000 feet?

Thanks again!

😉

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Depart the airport as depicted at point 6(straight out or at a 45 degree angle, after reaching pattern altitude). You can climb straight to your cruising altitude, once clear of pattern(approx. 2 miles), turn to your on-course heading. Normal traffic pattern is Left pattern.

M15A Guest

Thanks for that picture!

But now what if I want to go in the direction plane 2 is flying in that picture? Fly the departure leg, crosswind leg and downwind leg at traffic hight and after that keep flying straight and climb to cruise altitude?

M15A Guest

Thanks for that picture!

But now what if I want to go in the direction plane 2 is flying in that picture? Fly the departure leg, crosswind leg and downwind leg at traffic hight and after that keep flying straight and climb to cruise altitude?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

Thanks for that picture!

You don't fly the other legs of the pattern for departure. You would depart straight out(climbing to your cruise altitude). When you are clear of the pattern(approx. 2 miles) turn in whatever direction you want.

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sat May 12, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total
M15A Guest

I'm sorry, after reading your post again I think you mean that you always exit the traffic pattern at point 6 on that picture, climb to cruise altitude and from there turn to whichever direction you want to fly to?

is that right?

M15A Guest

CRJCapt wrote:

M15A wrote:

Thanks for that picture!

You don't fly the other legs of the pattern for departure. You would depart straight out(climbing to your cruise altitude). When you are clear of the pattern(approx. 2 miles) turn in whatever direction you want.

You are just a little faster! 😉

Thanks for your answers!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

I'm sorry, after reading your post again I think you mean that you always exit the traffic pattern at point 6 on that picture, climb to cruise altitude and from there turn to whichever direction you want to fly to? is that right?

Yes but you don't have to be at cruise altitude to turn. Your cruise altitude could be 8,000 feet. I just meant that you don't have stop your climb at pattern altitude, just continue to climb. The turn point(on-course) is based on position(clear of pattern area) not altitude.

M15A Guest

Thanks man!

So what about entering? Is there a standard 'leg' you enter the pattern?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

Thanks man!
So what about entering? Is there a standard 'leg' you enter the pattern?

Yes, point 1(downwind leg), at pattern altitude. You could also enter straight in on final but you have to be careful of any aircraft in the pattern already. That's at a uncontrolled airport. The tower can instruct you to enter the pattern at any point, normally downwind, base or final.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...