Terrain.dll?

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

I posted this in another Forum here but received no responses. Perhaps it belongs here:

I purchased a MegaScenery CD for FS 2004, installed it, and used their 2004->FSX converter FS2004FSXlibraryUpdate to make the scenery compatible with FSX. During the conversion, it said I must download and install a an updated FSX Terrain.dll file and a "Photo-Based Scenery Add-On Update". However the site referenced for these downloads, fsinsider.com, does not list them. I'm using FSX Deluxe (full version - can't find the version number). Are these two downloads really necessary; and, if so, can you tell me where I can get them. They're not at Microsoft.com.

Thanks,
Martin

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

While I'm not positive the scenery download "fix" that they had disappeared when SP1 came out.
I can assume that it is integrated into SP1.
A poor idea since not everyone will patch their FSX.
All I can do is tell you to go to fsinsider.com and ask them for it, see what they have to say about the disappearing download (it was meant to fix "blocky" scenery).
I would like to have it for upload to members here who want it later on.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Thanks. I'll try beating some more on fsinsider.com. BTW, I was under the impression that SP1 was for developers; is that not true? Should we common (user-only) folks install that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mpf858 wrote:

Thanks. I'll try beating some more on fsinsider.com. BTW, I was under the impression that SP1 was for developers; is that not true? Should we common (user-only) folks install that?

SP1 SDK is for developers.
SP1 for a patch (208mb) is an upgrade for FSX itself.
A major one if applied correctly.
Used incorrectly...a disaster. Most here have loaded it.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1950/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-service-pack-1/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Short of running FSX from the command line, does the installation of SP1 requine uninstalling all third-party Missions and Add-On Scenery?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Add on scenery is what can kill you.
It's also (if exe or pay) in the FSX.cfg.
I doubt that the aircraft will be a problem but that's in the cfg also.
They ask for a clean install, you can try it with what you have, if it doesn't work delete it (SP1), repair and hope that all is well.
Or give it the completely clean install.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

Returning to my post:

Anyone know about Terrain.dll?

PLEASE REFER TO MY ORIGINAL POST.

Thanks!

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

I am beginning to think, after further (unproductive) searches and inquiries with Microsoft, flyawaysimulation, fsinsider, megascenery, etc., that the need for the updates indicated in my initial post here does not apply to FSX but to FS2002/2004.

Unless anyone here has a further remark on these updates, I'll stand down.

Re. the side discussion here on FSX_SP1, further inquiries have also led me to conclude that installing this does indeed require a clean FSX, i.e., without any add-ons.

Thanks for all the discussion. Over and out.

Pro Member Trainee
mpf858 Trainee

NOTA BENE

After installing the Microsoft FSX update FSX_SP1, I no longer received an alert (see my original post above) that I needed an updated Terrain.dll or the "Photo-Based Scenery Add-On Update".

BTW, you can install FSX_SP1 without a clean copy, i.e. without loosing any of your usage history or add-ons. See my other recent topic here: "SP1 - Installation without Loosing Current Files".

Martin

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...