Checkrides...hard to take seriously!

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

First of all, what about the "clanger" in the Private Pilot Checkride? The instructor woman says " you will see Tahoma Bridge airport on your left"... when in reality it is off to your right... and you have to awkwardly cross the left traffic pattern to make a left landing descent.??? At least you can pass that one though.

Now, how about the Intsrument Rating Checkride??? ....Stone the crows !@#$%.. To be honest I just can't correctly enter the holding pattern over SEA VOR. I'm sure i've done my homeword and entered it correctly -- a DIRECT entry (option C)..??

Has anybody got any hints.

Thanks Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil 🙄 😉

PS. Sorry, I meant to post this in the FSX forum -- but I think it is the same in fs9 anyway.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Maybe this will help - I'm not sure:

http://www.rodmachado.com/Flight-Sim/FS-IFR-Ride.htm

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Thank you antone. That link is very interesting. Yep - spin the OBS early before the "proceed direct" instruction - helpful!

But after reading the link I am now more confused about the direction of the Hold. It would seem clear to me (according to the flight criteria printout) that I would be heading 140 on the inbound - and heading 320 on the outbound, ---- but after reading Bob's notes, you would think you are 320 inbound, and 140 outbound? - and therefore entering parallel?

What's the story? (It might be different in FSX though)
Mad 😛 Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

OK,.. I had better fess up.

In the FSX version the {setting the OSB} bug has been fixed in the Instrument Checkride. The problem was with me - not registering that the "140 radial" actually means 320 inbound and 140 outbound when you're talking about holding patterns.
Hallelujah! I have at least conquered the holding pattern, but there is still the ILS approach to go, before I have mastered the checkride.

Undertaking the checkrides is only for the rabidly detirmined. It really tests your patience. I have limited myself to only two attempts per day - otherwise I would go mad Mad

Edit Correction: NO, the OBS bug IS NOT fixed in FSX.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...