Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

knots and kias

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor First Officer

hello everyone. i was just wondering if there is a difference in kias and knots. i see normal planes fly at, lets just say, 450 knots but in fsx i can only go to around 340 kias. and where is the knots display in the 737? thanks and any help appreciated. Very Happy Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Taylor wrote:

hello everyone. i was just wondering if there is a difference in kias and knots. i see normal planes fly at, lets just say, 450 knots but in fsx i can only go to around 340 kias. and where is the knots display in the 737? thanks and any help appreciated. Very Happy Very Happy

A Knot equals 1 nautical mile per hour. A nautical mile is 6076 ft. A statute mile (normal mile as in your car) is 5280 ft.

KIAS is knots indicated airspeed. It's the speed in knots that the aircrafts airspeed indicator shows and lessens as an aircraft climbs due to less dense air at higher altitudes. This value is shown on the left side of the Primary Flight Display(PFD).

KTAS(Knots true airspeed) is the true speed of the aircraft thru the air. As an aircraft climbs, the air becomes less dense and KIAS decreases. An aircraft that is traveling at 450 KTAS would only show about 290 KIAS at 30,000 ft.

Pro Member First Officer
Taylor First Officer

o ok thanks