ILS - Help please!!!

Pro Member Trainee
giorgio-ally Trainee

Ive tried over 10 times to make an ILS landing and it just won't work. Im flying an Airbus a321, I have setup the GPS with the course to the airport. The NAV/GPS buttoon is set to NAV, the NAV1/2 is set to the right frequency, course is entered and Autopilot is on as is apporaoch hold. What is wrong? Do i have to activate approach etc in the GPS? And which button should be on approach hold or NAV hold?? Im getting so stressed!!!

Thanks.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

ok first you find the airport frequncey for ils and put it in nav1. make sure your using nav1. then when you get in the ils range you put autopilot on and click APPROACH, not nav. i hope that helps 😉

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

refer to the post at the bottom of the fsx general forum. I had a similar problem and it got solved. U will be the links to the site.

Perhaps you're engaging ur app hold switch too early. Please notice after you enter the glidescope you sohuld engage it. Automatically ur heading hold would be disengaged.

Is it happening?

Cheers

Pro Member Trainee
giorgio-ally Trainee

Yer that sounds right, it wont let me click it sometimes...

What takes me to the glide slope, autopilot?

Are you supposed to clcik activate approach and enter approach etc in the gps?

Pro Member Trainee
giorgio-ally Trainee

It never ever kicks in and takes me to the centreline im getting sooo annoyed right now!!!

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

Okay, try this step by step:

1) Start a flight as usual (make contact with ATC...etc)
2) When you get near the airport, ATC will tell you which runway you will land on. Go to the map and find the frequency and heading of the runway.
3) Enter the heading in the Course selector
4) Open the Radio Stack and enter the frequency in NAV1, switch the frequency to active, then activate NAV1
5) Keep following ATC directions and when close to the airport, you should hear the morse beeps which verifies you have the right frequency.
6) Look on your display and when the Glidescope has been captured, click the APP or APR button (Approach)
7) Maintain speed and other controls and the autopilot will automatically turn off the heading and altitude hold.
😎 When you are about to hit the runway, disengage Autopilot, Autothrottle and Approach.

Try that and see if it works. I'd like to point out though that I (even though I know its not correct procedure) enable Approach when am told which approach I follow.

By the way, have you tried it at multiple airports and with a Boeing aircraft?

Pro Member Trainee
giorgio-ally Trainee

How can i tell that ive intercepted the glide slope??

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

giorgio-ally wrote:

How can i tell that ive intercepted the glide slope??

Not to be a jerk but you should really learn the instruments and what they do and even learn how to actually (gasp!) fly an ILS *before* you learn how to fly it on auto-pilot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Ok These links helped me a lot. Take a print out and try to follow as closely as possible. The links will give you a clear idea as what is to be done to fly an ILS practically with screen shots.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/index.htm

Cheers

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...