FS9 with FSNaviagtor ILS behaving strangely

Pro Member Trainee
mesmerick Trainee

Hi, can anyone help me with a problem that has been baffling me. I'm using FS2004 with FSNavigator. On some airports (such as Gran Canaria) when I capture the ILS after selecting NAV the plane turns round (as if the ILS is pushing it in the opposite direction?). It doesn't matter how many approaches I make, from what altitude or speed, exactly the same thing happens once the ILS is established. Could this be something to do with the ILS binding in FSNav as FS9 ATC doesn't even recognise an ILS runway? Or am I doing something wrong? Any help appreciated.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your best bet would be to email him and ask.
His email is at the bottom of this page.

http://bobholland.com/fs/fsnav/default.htm

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
mesmerick Trainee

Thanks for that. I have written to Bob and will post here in case anyone else has had a similar problem.

Pro Member Trainee
mesmerick Trainee

I think I've figured this out from this:

"Some runways have an ILS on one end, but instead of having a seperate ILS on the other end, they have what is called a "localizer Back-course." This is basically the same beam, so if rw 9 has an ILS, rw 27 for example could have the same Localizer beam as the one used on runway 9, except it would appear to be reversed. So, if the ILS needle moves to the left, instead of flying left you would fly right (Often called "dragging" the needle). This is the exact opposite of how you fly a normal approach, so if you want the autopilot to fly it, it requires a different function - the back course hold. Note that most back courses do not have glide slopes, so you will still have to control altitude."

Now my only question is how to identify runways that have a localizer back course?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😀 Your part way there, don't quit now.
Good work!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...