Dealing with ATC request "Go around"

Pro Member Trainee
wrightyway Trainee

Hi There,

If anyone has any useful tips for dealing with the ATC request on final approach "go around" I would appreciate it. I am sure I have read some info before on this subject but can not find the post.

Kind regards
Paul

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
PH Guest

How to fly the go around?
If this is what you mean depends what you are flying but basically throttles fully forward, pitch up, when positive climb-gear up, landing flap (drag flap) retracted as speed permits, flaps 5/10 slats either leave out if on a circuit/circle to land or bring them in on schedule as per take off.

Guest Ed Guest

As far as "Where do I go?" it depends on whether you're flying IFR or VFR. If it's IFR, ATC should give you directions regarding direction and altitude. If you're flying VFR, the safest bet is to just fly around the traffic pattern.

Unless you're taking the IFR Check Ride, in which case you're on your own. . . 🙄

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
wrightyway Trainee

Thanks Ed & PH

That helps a lot, I am flying IFR and was not sure if ATC should give me direction and altitude for the "Go Around" or if I need to follow a particular pattern depending upon airport & runway heading etc.

Do you have to report missed approach to ATC or just await next instruction?

Cheers

Guest Ed Guest

It depends why you are going around. If it is because ATC told you to go around, they will give you an altitude and heading to fly. For instance, ATC does a poor job of keeping planes spaced, putting a fast plane behind a slow one, and such. If you're about to land on somebody, ATC may tell you to go around.

If on the other hand you WANT to go around (say you realize you're about to land at 300 kias on a 1000 foot runway or you forgot to tell the passengers to bring their seatbacks and tray tables to an upright position 😀 ) then you can open the ATC window (click the ` button) and select "Report Missed Approach." In either case, ATC will tell you what to do.

I don't think you really ever need to fly a "Published Missed Approach" procedure in FS09, except in the Check Rides.

Ed

Finnair Guest

Guest Ed wrote:

It depends why you are going around. If it is because ATC told you to go around, they will give you an altitude and heading to fly. For instance, ATC does a poor job of keeping planes spaced, putting a fast plane behind a slow one, and such. If you're about to land on somebody, ATC may tell you to go around.

Ed

My opinion is that the ATC doesn't have to give you the hdg/track/radial or altitiude in either of the cases, UNLESS following the missed approach procedure isn't suitable (because of traffic), or the ATC want you to follow the missed approach but clears you for a different altitude than in normal procedure. For example, if missed approach is meant to fly with runway track until 1500ft, then right turn to ndb climbing 1800ft, and they want you to climb to 2800ft for separation, they'll give you (after you have reported going around) cleared for KRU (ndb) for 2800ft. Im not sure though (i should be, just had my IR check flight a few days ago, in real life that is 😀 )

Guest Ed Guest

Of course, I was talking about what ATC will do in FS09, not real life. I have no experience in flying in real life, other than sitting in coach eating pretzels. 😀

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
wrightyway Trainee

Thanks for all your opinions!

It has to be said I am also the couch, pretzel guy who does enjoy the sim and this forum very much.

Cheers

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...