Object placement

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

A couple of weeks ago I purchased RealAir's Bellanca Scout package. As a result, I've been visiting little air strips and lakes all over the north-western U.S. and other places like Alaska, etc. Most of these locations are great for scenery, but they are completely baron of any planes, junk, campers, vehicles or anything else usually found by bush pilots. As a result, I would like to try my hand at "object placement". I've looked at some of the developers sites, but they are extremely confusing. Read Does anyone know of a program that will facilitate this task without having to have a computer science degree? RWY12 won't work with FSX and I don't have the SDK since I didn't get the Deluxe version of FSX. I've downloaded a few scenes that look great, and some not so great, but there are only few available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, the Scout is really a hoot to fly. You can even spin it. 🙄 Kinda pricey, but worth it in my humble opinion. The radios are kind of funcky though.
Thanks in advance ... Art

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Join their forum for help, people here are saying it works.

http://www.rwy12.com/rwy12/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=213

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Spent some time on runway12 (RWY12)'s FAQ & Tut.

I've wanted to do this for my game! But I'd need a month to learn how. Might be a winter project, I'll go hoe some weeds and think about it.

RWY12's stuff was developed for Xp & FS2004, It seems to work for FSX, but what about Vista and Acceleration? RWY12 wouldn't know yet.

This might be a reason to delay upgrading to Vista, but what about not installing FSX Sp2 when it's available?

If I do learn how to place objects on my map, I'd want to share with others and that's difficult, other than in screen shots.

Pro Member First Officer

Thank you RM for the quick response and the site. I must have followed the same path as oldsamer because I now have the FAQ and TUT. I agree with oldsamer, it would take at least a month to become proficient with
RWY12, probably longer for me. Just downloading all the required programs and libraries and getting them properly organized looks like a farely daunting task. I guess I'll give it a try, but it still seems to me that there must be an easier way. Abacus has a free download that might do it, but it needs to work with FSX Deluxe's SDK. I'd be willing to switch to Deluxe, however I'm afraid that I may loose all my additons in the process. Has anyone else tried to install Deluxe over Standard FSX? If so, what kind of problems did you encounter? Is it even possible to do without a complete uninstall of Standard? 😕 Dont Know
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer

Hey gang, I did it! It's only a shipping container sitting next to the dead grass runway at 2ND0, but I did it. I'm so excited, I think I'm going to live in it. That RWY12 is confusing as heck, but I rule. Now on to bigger and better things. Thanks all for your help and guidance. I'm a happy camper (in my green container). Surprised
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😀 You never know until you try!!

Good for you!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

There is hope!!

Now tell us, effieveda ;

1. What is your operating system?

2. Was this non-deluxe FSX?

3. FSX Sp1 installed?

4. Have you installed X-graphics payware addon?

5. Was there any RWY12 install instruction that couldn't be corralated to your software suite?

Pro Member First Officer

1. Windows XP SP2

2. Standard FSX

3. SP1 installed

4. X-graphics paid for and installed

5. I'm not too clear on your question. Apparently it corralated with my software suite because it worked. Please clarify.

I just followed the FAQ. I'm still somewhat confused by it all and was actually suprised that I was able to place an object. It's still sitting there today, but I'm having trouble remembering excactly what I did. This morning I am trying to place a Pepsi machine next to an airstrip in North Carolina. So far, no luck. Embarassed I obviously did something different yesterday, but I'm still not quite sure what. Those darn senior moments are taking their toll. However, I refuse to give up. I'm dieing for a nice cold Pepsi. If I figure out what I did, I'll post it here. Wish me luck. 🙂
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer

Here's the scoop, I think I screwed up on one of the last steps, so the bgl file for the Pepsi machine never got created. Now I have a Pepsi machine and a shipping container sitting on opposite sides of a runway in North Carolina. Now all I need is a big screen HDTV, a cable hook up, a nice recliner, and some heat. Maybe I'll see if I can find an animated dog. How about one of those blow-up......naaaahh Twisted Evil . Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving.
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer

Well, I gave up on RWY12. The program performs fine and works as advertised, however, it is really time consuming and extremely difficult to place an object exactly where you want it. Maybe with more practice it would be easy, but I just don't have the time or patience. So, I copped out and purchased "Instant Scenery" from Flight One Software. The main difference is that you can see what you are doing because you are "inside" FSX as you are working. Once you've decided that an object is where you want it to be, just click on one button and then go on to the next thing. I have no financial interest in Flight One (other than the twenty-five bucks for the program). I just thought I'd pass this information along to any other aspiring scenery designers who are afraid to "jump in". By the way, they offer a free trial download. It works as long as you stay within a 50nM radius of Seattle, Washington. Good luck. 😀

Regards ... Art

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...