which video card?

Loko Guest

Hi,
just bought fs 2004 and was wondering which video card would run it best, i currently have a ge force 2 on a pentium 4, 2.4 with 512 ram, this ran 2002 really well with full graphics, on 2004 i have to turn the settings to medium to get it to run at around 15 / 25 fps, this drops to around 7 when entering cloud, willing to spend around 100 / 200 pounds.

Thanx, Loko..

Answers 59 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

To be honest, your best bet would be to buy one of the newer GeForce cards such as the FX5600 or the FS5900 - or, if you are willing to spend about $425 - a GeForce FX5900 Ultra.

I am running it on a GeForce FX5200 with no problem, but will soon be upgrading to the marvelous FX5900 Ultra. Everything is set to the max apart from the clouds, which decrease the framerate dramatically. I'm sure a FX9000 Ultra would be able to handle full everything no problem, but it's pricey 🙄

Loko Guest

Thanx for the info,
as i am one for realism, i think i will save a up a few pounds more and go for it big time, might take a while, but sounds worth it, as long as my wife doesnt find out how much it costs! 😳

Pro Member Site Admin

Yep, thats probably your best bet 🙂

You can find more info on the FX5900 here:
http://nvidia.com/page/fx_5900.html

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Has anyone found a fix for this error using new NVidia cards with XP? The only suggested fixes I found did not work!! All Flight Sims worked except FS2004, which wouldn't open and would freeze up XP with this error!! Tried all drivers, newest to oldest I could find. thnx, rob

Pro Member Trainee
vigenviper Trainee

I am having a similar issue, I installed FS04, updated my ATI drivers before launching FS04. The splash screen opens then it goes back into Windows XP Pro without launching the program, no error messages. Tried to lower the resolution to 8x6 16bit but it did not help????

Ryanrbftp Guest

This could be a permissions issue. Try right clicking on FS2004 and click on Run As. Then Use Administrator and type the password in. See how that works.

Pro Member Trainee
vigenviper Trainee

😂 Wow, that worked, now what do I need to do to set the icon permissions so it works normally and how did this happen?

Ryanrbftp Guest

Right, sadly - there is no easy way of setting the permissions everytime apart from doing that every time. I'm sure there is a command method such as user=... Password=... after the EXE call, but I don't know the syntax. Try searching microsoft.com for "Run As" or something similar and see what comes up. This happened because you moved or changed your My Documents folder to another location or something similar. I'm glad it works now 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Hi all, I just wanted to finish of my part of this. I had that problem with Nvidia card, took it back, got a ATI 9800 Pro and it was OK, but finally decided to bite the bullet and took it back and got a NVidia 5900 Ultr and held my breath starting MS2004. BUT WOW !! What a difference!! This card is awsome and very noticeably better even tho my mobo is only AGP 4X !! I am totally happy with the awsome graphics in both FS 2000 and 2004 ! If it matters, I'm 55 but love flying ! rob

Pro Member Site Admin

Yes - the 5900 Ultra is amazing; and if you can afford it, its definatley worth the money.

BAW242 Guest

I just got a new Dell 3GHz machine with the FX5200, bought FS2004 and was very impressed with the results...until I turned on any weather, staright down to between 6-15 fps with broken sound, totally useless.

I checked another forum and apparently this is a known problem with the graphics card - should I try and get Dell (UK) to change it or does anyone know a fix?

DC

Pro Member Site Admin

I have the same machine - the Dimension 8300 - also from the UK 🙂

I also have a 5200. To be honest, when you turn the settings up to the max on the 5200, the slow framerate is what you would expect from that card. If you want to run with full settings, I recommend you spend some money on a 5900 Ultra. That should get full settings running for you no problem. See posts above.

Pro Member Trainee
ew500 Trainee

I have P4 2,8 Ghz 1024 Mb RAM and MSI FX 5600 with 256 MB and its great!!!

bill@bygroves27.freeserve Guest

I have a pentium 2.4, Asus 5600 256mg Video card. 1.5 Gig of Ram. I have flt/sim 2002 installed. I then installed flt/sim2004 and the computer will not run this program, it just reboots. I run Win XP Prof. this program seems typical of M/soft ( rubbish )

Pro Member Trainee
nurseman Trainee

😛 hi first of all you have to del 2002 from the pc then install
f2004 and then all the drivers to make it work
regads to all and happy flying

Pro Member Site Admin

nurseman wrote:

😛 hi first of all you have to del 2002 from the pc ...

There is no need to delete FS2002. You can run both versions of Flight Simulator with no problems.

Oldskool Guest

I hate to tell you ppl this but the 9800 pro is better then any geforce card including the 5900 ultra.

In Direct 9 games the 9800 pro blows the geforce away.
In fact in certain direct 9 games the 9600 pro beats the 5900 ultra.

Please check out other deciated graphic card forums and ask them if you dont belive me.

The best card on the planet is the Radeon 9800 XT.

Pro Member Trainee
Laze Trainee

Amen! Oldskool. non-believers check out the nov 03 issue of maximun pc page 11 😀

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Well, I'll throw another wrench in the gears... A few mos ago I went to Best buy and first bought a 5700 and didn't like it. Went back and bought a ATI 9800...Wasn't sure if I liked it...Kept the ATI, Went back and got the 5900 Ultra. Man, it blew the ATI outta the water! Took back the ATI and am totally happy with the 5900 Ultra!! My rig... P4/2.53; 512 Rambus Ram, Asus P4T533 mobo... FS 2004 looks great !
I was going to send a screen shot here, but I can't figure out how to do it...Any help??? rob[/list]

Belgian Falcon Guest

Check this link out.
Woehahaha, bey bey Nvidia. Ati Rules.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Hi Belgian, glad you are happy with your ATI, but frame rates are not the whole picture... When I tried ea of these cards in my rig, the NVidia 5900 Ultra blew away any ATI card in graphics ( How the graphics looked !). If I lost some frame rates to get better graphics, Great ! Any frame rate over 30 is more than acceptible. Each person should try more than one card in their rig before spending that kind of ca$h ... Enjoy, rob

Belgian Falcon Guest

Yes, you are right.
Last I saw benchmarks on fs9 with Nvidias FX5700 ultra, wasnt bad at all.
Even better than 9600 series at high resolutions.

Raymie Guest

I got a question... Will flightsim 2004 run on AMD ?

raymie Guest

Hi

Thank you for you answer ( sorry for my bad english )
Over one week i gonna upgrade my sytem to below:

AMD Athlon 2800+ 512K
512 MB Memory DDR400
80G of harddisk
ATI Radeon 9800 All in wonder

Will this run fs2004 ??

Greets and thanks

Raymie

Pro Member Trainee
cj22009 Trainee

Yes Amd will run fs 2004 fine mt current system has an xp3200 barton 1 gig corsair xms pc 3200 radeon 9800 pro video card wich I love had and 5900 ultra and it didnt even compare to the 9800 pro imo it runs great

raymie Guest

Everybody thanks for your reply's
I got some questions again
what kind of Frame rates do you have in Flightsim 2004
And what sort of system do you use, to make that posible

( sorry for the bad english ) Embarassed

Greetz

Raymie

raymie Guest

I Forgot

Do you guys know where to find more screenshots of Flightsimulator 2004 ?
i seen the screenshots on this site, they are pretty cool.

Greets

Raymie

exportman Guest

I have just read through the replies on this subject and am a little confused. I just bought what I thought was a state-of-the-art computer that could run just about anything. It's a HP 380 (that PC Magazine ranked best of show at COMDEX) running Windows XP Media, with 512 ram, 120 gig hd and a nvidia 5200. I burn DVDs, watch TV on it while I am typing on MS Word and now I read from so many of you that my nvidia 5200 won't do justice to FS2004. I was all set to head out to the Compusa today and buy a copy but am now wondering whether I am wasting my money. Since I'm financially tapped out after buying this hardware, upgrading to a better card isn't an option for me. Should I just stay with FS 2000 and forget FS 2004?

exportman Guest

Thanks for the response, John. You're right it is a 370 multi media. I am now encouraged to goget it. As to the updated driver point, do I just log onto the manufacturers site to get the latest nvidia driver? Thanks for your help.
Larry

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

You are lucky, i am used to 2 FPS on FS2004 and about 7 FPS on FS2002 with the SiS 630/730 64MB SDRAM. I am about to get a supped up system with a GeForce FX5200 128 MB DDR, so would settle for 15 FPS or even 17FPS.

And guys i never install PC hardware myself, i always get the people that sold it to me to do it, sure it costs a little extra - but at least you know it's going to work properly. (When you know the right people). 😉

Pro Member Site Admin

CommodoreSirJohn wrote:

Huh? The HP 380 is a printer, not a computer. Perhaps you mean the 370, which is a multimedia PC?

As for it being worth it, as long as your computer meets the minimum requirements, go for it! You've got a fairly good video card, and more than enough memory and HD space, so your only real limiting factor is your processor.

If you are talking about the HP 370, then you have a better processor than I do (a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 as opposed to my 1.8GHz Athlon XP), so you should have absolutely no problems running it.

You may have a couple of problems with the NVidia card, but that's easily fixed with the newest drivers.

Believe me, it's worth it.

FS2004 will run just great on a 5200 - just not with the all of the options set to the max.

Pro Member Site Admin

Yes, thats pretty much the same with all cards. Microsoft should have really planned the clouds a bit better and considered all users! I find that you can have realistic clouds enabled, but set to medium quality - they seems to run fine on a 5200.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

As i've said before, it all depends what hardware you have running with the graphics card. For instance if you buy an ATI Radeon 9600 pro and on your computer you only have 128MB SDRAM and a 1.0GHZ processor then the state of the card will be useless - it will perform poorly, and you'll start thinking there's something up with the card - when it's the rest of the computer that's the problem.

Here's my specs for my new computer:

AMD Athlon 2800+XP (maybe upgrade to AMD Athlon 3000+XP)
512MB DDR RAM (soon upgraded to 1024MB DDR)
NIVIDA GeForce FX5200 128MB DDR
32 bit sound card (make unknown)

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Anyone thinking of upgrading, i would advise you to look at this site:

Also Raymie you should find some original screenshots on the homepage of this site (somewhere). The screenshots are official so don't expect to see any Continental 767's here.

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

What are your computer specifications CommodoreSirJohn?

guys I had the sae issue with FS2004, as soon as I changed to the default my docs it was fixed...

Pro Member Site Admin

CommodoreSirJohn wrote:

... burn-in and all, as a second monitor

If you spend a bit extra, flat panel monitors come with a special feature that stops burn in, by shifting the pixels hundreds of times per second, too fast for your eye to see - but stopping burn in.

shaan Guest

ew500 i m telling you plz . I am also using ur card fx 5600 on 4x agp p4 2 ghz, 512 ram but i am facing some problem when i m on the game its not actually fluently or smoothly going when i set it at higher config in game Crying or Very sad

plz gime me any solution and hows going ur fs4 with that same card?

Is your Motherboard able to switch to 8x AGP? Also try downloading the latest AGP drivers - I have done this on my PC and have had amazing results! Set Anti-Aliasing from the video card to 2x or what ever it can handle and disable AA in FS2004. The FX5600 should be able to give you at least 30-40 FPS (another 512MB of RAM wouldn't hurt either).

Let me know! 😉

shaaan Guest

Hi Guest , well my mother board is 4x agp but as u told me that is it able to switch to 8x agp. For this part i donno if one motherboard is 4x agp how i can i switch to 8x agp. is there any way in motherboard let me know plz.

take care Crying or Very sad

Hello again, what is the name of your motherboard does it support DDR Ram instead of SDRAM?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your looking for an app to see what the model of your M/B is this will be of some help.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

This site (if you run the full test) will also help you with identification.

http://www.pcpitstop.com

shaan Guest

hi guest hello again i am using 512 DDR RAM and it is 4x agp and bought it Compaq package it means it was built in its not clone PC thats what i got.

take care

shaan Guest

hello hi again... u wanna see my mother board Guest here it is:

MOTHERBOARD

Board: Compaq 07E8h
Serial Number: 2H26KW3X70HY
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Compaq 686O2 v1.08 05/28/2002

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 256 MB (serial number 41810846)
Slot 'DIMM2' has 256 MB

DISPLAY

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 [Display adapter]
PHILIPS 150S [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n BZ 74707878, March 2002)

so now tell me plz how can i swtich my motherboard 4x agp to 8x agp is there any way ..? so that i can play the fs 2004 smoothly

take care

Hello again Shaan, sorry if i'm a bit late. Boot up your PC and go into setup mode. Look for anything relating to AGP, if it supports 8x enable it. Most motherboards switch to 8x automatically, also look in your video card settings and see if there's an option to switch to 8x. BUT, be aware that this could cause permanent damage if it does not support 8x!

I all this fails then it looks like you'll have to buy a new motherboard as this will be why you are getting low framerates as the FX5600 needs 8x AGP although it will run in 4x but not optimal. I'm not sure on your location in the world, but a good motherboard will cost you about £40-£50 which is quite cheap considering.

Good luck! 😉

shaan Guest

i m in canada toronto ontario

so i guess it would be for me 8x agp motherboard $100 CAD

i will try what u said that for ur help guest 😂

No problem! 😉 Gigabyte and ASRock are good motherboard makers, I have an ASRock K7S8XE which so far has been excellent, it also supports 8x AGP. You can find out more info here- www.asrock.com you can also buy from this site too I think.

Good luck! 😀

@CommodoreSirJohn

I just found this request for a runabout danube class. I started to model this spacecraft a few days ago. Take a look at these pics and wait. It is coming soon Wink . If anybody is out there who knows how to make custom gauges, I could need a little help 🙄 .

This two images are not final. I've completed the entire LCARS. Only the the animated custom gauges are missing. I just wanted to show the bridge.

This is a final image of the LCARS menusystem

Here you can see an older version of my danube shuttle ingame. Max speed aprox 1000 Kts.

I hope it is ok that I didn't start a new thread.

Zebo Guest

hi all, just stumbled on this site, looking for how to connect a video camera to an nvidia fx 5600, thought i'd chip in, i fly online in a combat sim, il2 sturmovik, o.k it's all old planes.. yak3, spit vb, me109 6as,but,the game looks great, no lag from weather, even on line, detail is amazing,i run it @ 1260x9???x32, in excellent mode, there is perfect mode but this just makes the sea move and stuff, i'm not usually looking that way as i'm a keen spitter, so in short, maybe it's not your graphics cards but the sim that is slow and poor, i tried cfs3, but it was terrible compaired to il2, come and dogfight Wink watch out for fullwing spit FU Z with invasion stripes, lol

air.wolf Guest

Ryanrbftp wrote:

Right, sadly - there is no easy way of setting the permissions everytime apart from doing that every time. I'm sure there is a command method such as user=... Password=... after the EXE call, but I don't know the syntax. Try searching microsoft.com for "Run As" or something similar and see what comes up. This happened because you moved or changed your My Documents folder to another location or something similar. I'm glad it works now 🙂

Can you log in as the administrator? If so, change your account privaleges to administrator by going to the control panel, administrative tools, computer management, local users and groups, and users. Select your account name and add "Administrator" to your group list. This will give you God-like system-wide privaleges.

Jeff

Capt.jo Guest

Hello Guys,

My Computer carries an FX 5600 NVIDIA Card. Lately I connected another monitor to my pc to view flight sim on two computers. My plan for my flight sim is to have 3 monitors. one placed in front of me viewing the 2d cockpit and the other 2 by my side viewing the side windows .With two monitors this concept worked. Does anyone knows how to make this thing practical.--- Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this helps you.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Flyaway and RadarMan. You 2 seem to have these 2 cards. Sirs: I am open at this juncture,, WIDE open!! Is there ANYthing you can offer on this: Why should I choose a Radeon over an Nvidea, and vicy vercy?

Radeon ATI X850
Nvidia 6800 ultra

Thanks in advance!! Bow Down

Everyone else too! Anything that makes ati, nvidia the top choice?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here are the specs on those two cards.
Personally I like ATI because of the easier drivers, but would get NVIDIA if is faster for the price. I will need a new one soon and hope the 512mb are ready and plentiful.

Radar

guest12345 Guest

I am planning to buy a computer and video card specifically to run FS2004. I don't want to spend too much cash, but want to be able to run the program on FULL graphics at high res. Any reccomendations for the minimum system specs I would need, specifically processor speed, memory and the optimal video card?
Thanks!

Pro Member Trainee
tubeamp Trainee

Sounds more like a PC problem. What you have should work the game very,very, well ???

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

I was looking at photos of some of the higher-price cards. It appears that the VGA interfaces have been eliminated in favor of two DVI outputs. If this is true, it's something to watch out for. I'm probably not the only one with an LCD screen that I like and don't want to dump, and which has only the traditional VGA connector.

HL

dondada376 Guest

The card I use is a Nvidia FX5200 AGP Video card, I run it with full graphics and it runs just fine, no drops. Pentium 4 3.0 processor, One thing you have to do is... Bump up your memory to at least 1gig of ram. Hope this helps you Surprised

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Dude this post is over 3yrs old

Orignal post

Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:08 pm

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...