Fraps help

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

How to use Fraps http://www.fraps.com

The latest version is Fraps 2.7.4 in both payware and freeware versions,for Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and x64 Editions.

Remember Video capture and editting requires a good spec CPU,plenty of Ram and a fairly decent video card.Here we are running Fs9 and capturing video at the same time,so if your PC is not up to spec dont expect to make a blockbuster.

Here is what fraps recomends ➡

Requires DirectX 9.0c.
Requires an Intel Pentium 3, Pentium 4, Pentium D, or AMD Athlon, Duron, Sempron, or Opteron processor.
Captures fastest with an nVidia GeForce or ATI Radeon graphics card.
Install under an Administrator account

Try before you buy http://www.fraps.com for the freeware version

Whats the difference between payware and freeware ?
You only get 30 seconds of continuous video and the Fraps web site in the top centre of your video.
Now I know 30 seconds do'es not sound like a lot of time,but trust me, its plenty.Use up to the 30secs for different views in replay mode.Remember that you can move the tower in fs map mode and still use the replay.
For best results(my opinion 🙄 )try not to move the view while the aircraft is in flight as it can make the video replay jerky.

Try this,line up about 3 miles out from your favorite airport and fly in for the landing
Now run the FS replay,and try your different views,ie wing views and different tower positions(tick the replay continuiously box)
Save each of your clips and the use Windows XP Movie Maker or other video editing program and splice your clips together with whatever transition that takes your fancy
Add some music(could be a copywrite problem,but nah) When your happy save the video as an AVI file and get it uploaded via any of the hosting sites about
Post your link here and let us enjoy your handywork 😎
Remember that some are purists and will jump on for not turning your strobes off after leaving the runway or any other mistake so be prepaired 🍅

All Q & A here at the Fraps site ➡

http://www.fraps.com/faq.php

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Good idea TTT - Fraps is a popular topic lately 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

👍 👍 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

THanks TTT!

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Fraps is very good, but does have one shortcoming. It doesn't compress any of your recordings, so they do take an enormous amount of room, something like 1Gb for 10 minutes. But if you have plenty of HD space, then the resulting AVIs can be compressed down to around 10% - 20% of the original. I have the paid version, and have learnt to live with its greed. But if you are short on space then I use another recording program, which is free, called funnily enough "Recorder", its a small dll which you put in the 'Modules' folder of fs9.

http://www.neusinger.net/recorder

TimH Guest

Use Windows Movie Maker to save the videos as a .wmv format, which is the best video format around considering the quality:size ratio

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

can you make a flight video without using fraps? For example, by using the flight video recordering fs 2004 and then put it on the internet?

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

KevinTsai wrote:

can you make a flight video without using fraps? For example, by using the flight video recordering fs 2004 and then put it on the internet?

Not that i know of FS video is only data and can be played within FS only as it is not a video format. But there are other programs out there able to record FS data for recording.

drad Guest

i installed the fraps program but when i click on it, it wont open for some reason if some one else is having problem like this can u help me plz

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What are you clicking on?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

drad wrote:

i installed the fraps program but when i click on it, it wont open for some reason if some one else is having problem like this can u help me plz

Fraps by default is installed in Drive C.Double click on your drive...
You will see a folder called Fraps.
There you can find the Start icon(the same one as in your desktop's shortcut).Check if the program runs from there.If yes right click on it and create a shortcut of this in your desktop by dumbing first the old shortcut.

Re-installation could be a solution too.

Notice: If your Fraps is illegal you may also have such kind of problems. ❗ In this case im afraid that there is no solution

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

if it isn't recording, you might want to check your video card. i bought a new card since mine was so old it wouldn't even record

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

2 questions. 1, I noticed that Fraps can also take screenshots of the game besides recording videos. Is there a 30-second time limit on the capturing screenshots if you're using the demo version or is no time limit? 2, do you still need Windows Movie Maker to make the file smaller in screenshots if posting on this web? I was thinking that I could posts screenshots on this web with Fraps. Help please!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You don't use Windows Movie Maker for screenshots. One of the easiest ways to resize your screenies is by using Irfanview - it's free.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...