Why did camera view change in FSX?

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

I used to love being able to track around my plane in FS 2004 with the chase plane view mode. Now the default view is from the right wingtip and pans back and forth from a fixed point. Blech! Please tell me there's a way to make the camera track like it did in FS 2004.

Also, I used to be able to cycle through cockpit, virtual cockpit, tower and chase plane views just with the push of a button. Now I only get cockpit, virt cockpit and the crummy exterior camera view. What gives? Any advice welcomed (and flames gladly accepted since I know I'm being lazy.)

Thanks!

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

I used to love being able to track around my plane in FS 2004 with the chase plane view mode. Now the default view is from the right wingtip and pans back and forth from a fixed point. Blech! Please tell me there's a way to make the camera track like it did in FS 2004.

Also, I used to be able to cycle through cockpit, virtual cockpit, tower and chase plane views just with the push of a button. Now I only get cockpit, virt cockpit and the crummy exterior camera view. What gives? Any advice welcomed (and flames gladly accepted since I know I'm being lazy.)

Thanks!

Um... You do know in FSX you can also push A for more camera settings.

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

Um, no I didn't. Like I said, I'm being lazy (at least with this version). Let me try that out and I'll sing your praises.

Pro Member Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

Um, no I didn't. Like I said, I'm being lazy (at least with this version). Let me try that out and I'll sing your praises.

Well there you go.

Its like if you was on SPOT view on FSX you click A and it will switch to Lock View. ect...

Give it a try. OH and welcome to the Forum's.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

fsx has wing views tail views locked position views you name it man. Alot more views than fs2004.

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

Thanks morris and bawls. I took some time to read the online help for views and now thnk I have a bug in FSX. Although the A and S keys work more or less as morris says, I cannot get to either fixed spot or tower view. The help says that Tower view should also be a menu option under Views but it's not there. Is there yet more fiddling necessary with the options? Have I somehow broken something? This is a straightforward install with SP1 and no additional packs (yet). I'm really hoping to cut over to FSX from 2004 now that I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS card installed. The frame rate is now acceptable and it looks gorgeous. Just want all of the views available so I can take it all in!

Thanks again for your help.

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

Nope. Doesn't work. Right-clicking simply offers the same options found in the drop-down menus.

For that matter, the default function key assignments for views (F9 - F12) don't do anything either. This is getting to look more and more like a buggy install.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

For what it's worth and from what I remember, try your flightstick. Some of the guns and rockets and other stuff as in the combat sims now change some of your views.
Not to my satisfaction, I admit, because I have to reprogram my brain AND if I handfly, the constant pressing of rocket launchers and whatnot messes up my attitude.... after all that trimming. Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

OK, but what's a flightstick? I'm using a generic USB controller. Even with it disabled, nothing works.

Pro Member Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

OK, but what's a flightstick? I'm using a generic USB controller. Even with it disabled, nothing works.

I think he means JoyStick - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joystick

But yer he it right on my Joystick one of my buttons Witch drops bombs in most my combat sims is my View button aswell.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

OK, but what's a flightstick? I'm using a generic USB controller.

What's a generic USB controller? BTW, where I come from we don't have 'joysticks...' well we do, but that's outside of the FSX realm Umm...

Pro Member Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

I'm using a generic USB controller. Even with it disabled, nothing works.

Do you mean GamePad also known as JoyPad - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamepad

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

I mean one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Dual-Action-Game-Pad/dp/B0000ALFCI

I know, I know, not a very realistic way to control an aircraft, but I can assign rudder to the right-side stick and thus have three-axis control. (I don't have rudder pedals yet). But as I said, even with the device disconnected from the computer, I still can't locate tower view or spot plane view. Weird!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Don't throw your game-pad away yet, apparently they're really good for chopper flying in FSX... haven' tried it myself yet 🤔

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Sounds to me like Denny Crane's got some issues! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

''What do you mean? Did something happen? Was I in the room when it happened?''

-More wisdom from Denny Crane-

Pro Member First Officer

We'll get more 'wisdom' from a toothbrush!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

"Oh ye of little faith..."

Oops!

Pro Member First Officer

Lol!There was a (bad) little joke there, you may of missed it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I think I have... 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

hi guys looks like your having some stuggles here try doing this open the planes aicraft cfg in like note pad (i found it seems to work better than like open office) then paste this code at the botom of all the stuff
(make shure to put a 1!! line gap between this code and the one before its thats there)

[CameraDefinition.3]
Title = "Tail"
Guid = {5c1df273-034b-4e7f-953a-9d5e26f1646c}
Description = Looking forward from behind the aircraft
Origin = Center
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = FALSE
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = FALSE
Track = None
ShowAxis = FALSE
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = .75
ShowWeather = Yes
InitialXyz = 0, 6.5, -55.0
InitialPbh = 5, 0, 0
XyzAdjust = TRUE
Category=Aircraft
MomentumEffect=TRUE
ClipMode=Minimum

I found this here on flyaway 😀 😀 and like it it has always worked for me i use it to add tail to the downloaded planes that dont have tail hope this helps

Rolaids

"drink coffee do stupid things faster whith more energy"

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

Well that didn't work for me. I wonder if I should just reinstall? After what it took to install in the first place, I'm not looking forward to that.

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

it could be that your install might have problems (like you said just reinstall) try this whith downloaded plaines though it has worked for me have fun 😎 😀
Rolaids
"Never underestamate the power of stupid people in large groups" 😂

Pro Member Trainee
jmcgowan Trainee

On a closer look, Rolaids had the answer! It seems for some reason the Cameras.CFG file in C:\Documents and Settings\<dumb_user_me>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX was 0 bytes. I had edited the one for Administrator, but I run XP in my own login, so of course the changes recommended by Rolaids didn't take. So now I've copied the updated Cameras.CFG to my Application Data directory and Voila! I have all of the views I had before in FS 2004. Thanks to all of you for putting up with a noob. This is a terrific forum.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jmcgowan wrote:

I have all of the views I had before in FS 2004.

Hold your horses... are you saying that you can access those views the same way you did before in fs9 i.e. with the same keyboard keys? Umm...

Pro Member Trainee
Rolaids Trainee

Glad to help jim Tailhook couldn't you just replace the fsx veiw parts of the .cfg whith the fs9 parts and that would take care of what you were talking about (this is not from an expert i am young and not a fsexpert this is just a guess) i guess if you try it be shure to back up the files 😂 if you dont it might be Crying or Very sad any ways right back soon
Rolaids (i would love to put my imput in on stuff and ask questions 🙄 )

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...