Back from the dead!

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Hi All

My old Dell pc fell over and so was put to one side over a year ago and i was bought a laptop to replace it which was far too cr*p to run anything decent hencs not using FS since then, anyhoo recently i managed to resurect my PC but after looking for parts i have found how much PC's have moved on what with 2x Graphics cards sitting side by side etc so it looks like i'll be getting a new PC. So i have a few questions:

1: Does FS9 run under Vista? Nearly all PC's seem to be Vista these days.

2: If i go for a £1000 ish gaming PC would i be better off buying FSX rather than scenery discs etc for FS9? - Looking at Intel E8500 Dual CPU, 4Gig - 800 DDR Ram, Asuse motherboard, 500gig HDD and either a single 512Mg Nvidia 8800gts (or whatever the top one is) or 2x 8800gt cards.

erm thats it for now 🙂

Cheers in advance

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
drwhoere Trainee

FS9 Does run on Vista, Im running it now, and I'de say pay like £1000 for a decent cpu

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

I'm guessing with a decent PC, FS9 and some decent scenery software it's going to run super sweet and look almost as good as FSX yes?

Pro Member Trainee
drwhoere Trainee

Well FS9 will have better graphics, Im running a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT and FS9 Graphics are great!

heres a screenie from a flight i did today

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Looks damn good to me!!
🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good to see you're back mustangpilot.

The answer to your second question depends on who you're listening to. There appear to be two distinctive camps now, namely the 'die-hard FSXers' and the 'sanity-preserving FS9ers'. The choice in the end is yours. I can tell you though that I have seen many simmers and I'm NOT exaggerating, moving from FSX back to FS9.

You're considering the option of using two gfx cards... some say FSX cannot fully utilize Sli or Crossfire just as FSX apparently cannot utilize DX10 whereas other games can.
In the opposing camp those claims are regarded as nonsense.

I won't try and influence your decision, but I would urge you to consider the critics' opinions as well. A Flyaway member recently found this thread and shared it with us: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=42960

Since then, I've found myself reading it several times, the three posts by robains in particular.

Pro Member Trainee
mustangpilot Trainee

Hi Tailhook.

I think seeing as i have FS9 already i'll pop that on the new machine and see how i get on. I have just loaded it on my sons new budget laptop and it runs fine in vista although some of the clouds have hard edges as if there are 2 images that don't match. I put the clouds on a different setting and all seems ok.

If it's ok on my PC then i'll keep it and get some scenery & environment software.

Lets get spending!!! 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...