Freeware verses Payware

Pro Member First Officer
eyton402 First Officer

I have often wondered how much better payware aircraft are than freebies. By and large I have found that freebies are quite good.
Im not sure I know the difference, in a technical sense. Is there one?
Any comments are welcomed.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

If you are looking for as real as it gets aircraft than payware is the answer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Not necessarily... some freewares have better quality than payware... it all depends on what you are looking for.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

True belgeode but it seems that the payware planes have more of a variety. Not sure I stated that right but what I mean is that if you are looking for some good airliners, etc you know which payware companies have the best of that plane.
Ex: Fs2004/FSX 747 - PMDG

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

By the same token you have ppl like iFDG who do put a lot of love into their designs, and give em away... with the caveat that you need to find your own panel to work with it.

For freeware, my Steeler Air is pretty hard to top... unless I went with WILCO...

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

And thats the other problem. Freeware if it dont work you go on forum etc and or just delete it. I spent like 80$ for like shipping etc in wilco case and it didnt work. When it first came out I didnt get it until 2 weeks later and then when it didnt work, I emailed them and it took another 2 weeks to get another email back and basically their tech support sucks big time. I tried it when I got a new harddrive which was like a year later and it worked. What I am saying is you could aslo spend all your money for it not to work where as freeware its free.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

emerald_flag wrote:

show me a free ware aircraft with a fmc that can top pmdg

not sure that is possible lol.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

bawls327 wrote:

emerald_flag wrote:

show me a free ware aircraft with a fmc that can top pmdg

not sure that is possible lol.

That pretty much sums it up, though I wouldn't single out PMDG for having the best payware FMCs.
In the freeware department there is iFly's 744 with such a decent FMC that I haven't heard anyone complaining about it yet.

Have you guys noticed that whenever 'payware' is mentioned, most folks automatically think in terms of Commercial Jets?

Not necessarily... some freewares have better quality than payware... it all depends on what you are looking for.

The above is concise and true IMO.

Right then, looking at Combat Jets... which in your opinion is the best available F-14? The question I am asking is, can anyone find a payware F-14 that is BETTER than some of the freeware ones?

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

IRIS?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Don't sit on the fence... what do YOU think? 😀

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Aircraft with FMC's are not all they're cracked up to be, i have the PMDG 737-6/700 and the Just Flight A340 Professional and never use them as whenever i programme (or try to) the FMC to go in one direction like Atlanta i end up over China 😳 , or is that just me 😀 !

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...