Editing Aircraft Weight?

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

How do I edit an aircraft's base weight? I use FSPassengers, but the base weight of my A330-300 is too high to allow me to fully load the aircraft.

Can anyone help me please?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't think you can change the weight of the aircraft itself but you can figure out how much fuel you need and cut out some.
That'll lighten the aircraft if your carrying a full load of passengers and luggage.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

heh heh... yeah, I tried that, but with a full load of passengers and NO cargo, I can only have a 20% fuel load... 🙄

Looks like i gotta buy another plane. Oh well. Thx anyways.

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

Well, lucky me, i found a line in the aircarft's CFG that allowed me to lower the plane's empty weight. I can now have a full load. yay! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sounds good, post some screenshots if you can.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Vanya wrote:

Well, lucky me, i found a line in the aircarft's CFG that allowed me to lower the plane's empty weight. I can now have a full load. yay! 😀

I was going to say yes... what you did is correct.

What I usually do is I go to Airliners.net, find the REAL weights of a given plane empty and full, then enter those into the aircraft.cfg like this...

max_gross_weight = 154322
empty_weight = 86421.1

FSPax will then act accordingly.

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

belgeode wrote:

What I usually do is I go to Airliners.net, find the REAL weights of a given plane empty and full, then enter those into the aircraft.cfg like this...

max_gross_weight = 154322
empty_weight = 86421.1

FSPax will then act accordingly.

You can actually do that?! Awesome, now I can correct all my planes. Thanks man!

I'll see what I can do for screenshots.

Edit: Here's the tutorial:

1. Open your FS9 folder and navigate to your aircraft folder. Default is DRIVELETTER:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

You should see a large number of folders:

2. Open the desired aircraft folder and locate the AIRCRAFT.CFG file.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO EDIT ANYTHING, BACK UP THE ORIGINAL .CFG BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES.

3. Open AIRCRAFT.CFG with notepad. Press Ctrl+h and search for 'weight', without quotes. If you find it, edit it as you please. If you do not find it, you can add it. This is what you should add.

[WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
max_gross_weight = XXXXXXX
empty_weight = XXXXXX

You should add it somewhere underneath [General] in the .CGF file.

You're done. Your aircraft's weight has been modified.

Pro Member Chief Captain

good job on the tutorial... now anyone else who has this problem has a solution. Nice work!

Pro Member First Officer
Vanya First Officer

belgeode wrote:

good job on the tutorial... now anyone else who has this problem has a solution. Nice work!

Thanks! Feels good to contribute. Should I stick it in a new thread?

Pro Member Chief Captain

This should be fine... we can always bump it up when someone new asks.

Pro Member Trainee
yankeeflyer72 Trainee

Load the problem aircraft. Start FSPassengers and start a flight. Load the aircraft to max on everything, ie; passengers, cargo, fuel, etc. Compare the max t/o weight with the current weight as shown in FSP. Figure out the difference in weight from MTOW to shown weight. Go into the aircraft .cfg and reduce the empty weight by the the amount of difference that you determined from MTOW to shown weight. I always subtract an extra 500lbs. or so. With this you can load everything to the max, reduce your fuel to what you need for the flight, and your good to go. This will allow you to make max. revenue on each flight if you consider things like that. I fly with Active Air Source so that is a consideration for me in my flights.

Hope this helps.[/b]

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...