over all aircraft weight

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Downloaded a Cessna ?, the other day. I had myself (pilot) 255 lbs. A pessenger 260 lbs. And about 45 lbs of other weight. Click ok, a red message said over weight. Had to get rid of my passenger. Lower my other weight. And was only able to get about 20% of fuel in each tank. Wasn't able to get to my destination with that little amount of fuel.

My question is, what effect has a over weight load have on a aircraft for it's flight? Embarassed .

Thanks,
stocz2

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Weight, as long as the aircraft is loaded within CG limits, will reduce the performance of the aircraft in every way. Climb performance will decrease, required runway for T/O and landing will increase. Stall speed will increase. Everything will deteriorate with more and more weight until you get to the point were she won't fly. You should be able to carry more weight than what you stated but aircraft aren't designed to carry full seats, fuel fuel and full baggage. The weight of the people, bags and fuel is called the useful load. The useful load is the maximum takeoff weight minus the weight of the aircraft. Maximum useful load for a Cessna 172 would be around 800 lbs.(varies with install components). With a full fuel load of 53 gallons(318 lbs.), that leaves about 482 lbs for passengers and bags.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

Thanks CRJCapt for your fast reply.

I am still learning MSFS04. I wasn't sure about it. Did a search, but nothing came up.

Thanks again for the information.

stocz2

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The data is from Cessna's website, I can't say that FS2004 will react to the same weights. It was just to give you an idea of what the real aircraft can carry.

pogoclown Guest

Surprised HEY CRJ, DEN if da overall aircrafts usefull weight is wrong, less in this case than it should actually be?
den hows du yas correct dat?
like in aircraft cfg. or in da airfiles??
is it in da airfile or cfg notepad thingy??
yours truley pogoclown Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

pogoclown wrote:

Surprised HEY CRJ, DEN if da overall aircrafts usefull weight is wrong, less in this case than it should actually be? den hows du yas correct dat? like in aircraft cfg. or in da airfiles?? is it in da airfile or cfg notepad thingy?? yours truley pogoclown Embarassed

You could try reducing the empty weight, the fuel tank values and max. takeoff weight are normally correct. I would definitely back up the original aircraft configuration file before editing.

pogoclown Guest

😀 OK, I see, So in aircraft.cfg (notepad) i go to
[weight_and_balance]

max_gross_weight=
empty_weight=(lower figure or values here?)???????????

Thankyou 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

pogoclown wrote:

😀 OK, I see, So in aircraft.cfg (notepad) i go to
[weight_and_balance]
max_gross_weight=
empty_weight=(lower figure or values here?)???????????
Thankyou 😕

Affirmative but just remember that you're in uncharted waters. If the flight model was created correctly in the first place, you wouldn't need to edit the config. file at all. Changing the empty weight may effect other flying qualities, back up the original file just in case you don't like the results.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...