FS11.... What do others here think?

Pro Member Trainee
mattraw Trainee

Hi all (and particularly anyone at Microsoft who might be reading this),

I was just reading the comments on FS11 from January, and it really got me thinking...

FSX is without a doubt the best flightsim yet. The more one thinks about it though, the more it resembles the Vista saga. There is too much emphasis on backward compatibility - sorry to all those who don't want to loose their aircraft/scenery collections or have to buy new ones, but let's look at the evolution of other sims; look at the photo-realistic scenery/equipment/vehicles. Quite simply, the graphics within FSX are to me some 10 years behind the current times. Even with all settings turned up to the max.

Someone once mentioned that they use FS as the benchmark for measuring a computer's gaming capability, and well they might. FSX is just full of excess programming that uses system resources that could be used for far better purposes, in my opinion.

All the building blocks are there with FSX, the same as they were with Vista [a great idea - poorly executed]. Similarly, it is also littered with waste, as is Vista. So what now? We have Windows 7 (which I admit that I won't be getting until next week) and that appears to have been vastly streamlined, by most accounts. Lets hope that Microsoft will see fit to dismantle FSX, throw away the obsolete parts, and re-write it into a brand new flightsim: a new Version 1, which no longer supports previous versions. [yes, I would like to see backward compatibility in the future to this version until it too becomes obsolete - I hope that makes sense]

I want to see satellite photo scenery, and photorealistic cockpits. I want the next version to run smoother and, as a result of better programming, perhaps it will run almost perfectly on hardware that will be readily available at the time of it's launch (rather than us having to wait 2 years for technology to catch up).

Without any bitching about losing stuff if there is no backward compatibility (face it guys, the world moves on eventually), I ask:

What would others like to see?

Cheers for now,

~Matt (a real pilot) 😀 😉

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
nyguy72000 Trainee

Don't ask for much, do you mate?

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

mattraw wrote:

Hi all (and particularly anyone at Microsoft who might be reading this),

I was just reading the comments on FS11 from January, and it really got me thinking...

FSX is without a doubt the best flightsim yet. The more one thinks about it though, the more it resembles the Vista saga. There is too much emphasis on backward compatibility - sorry to all those who don't want to loose their aircraft/scenery collections or have to buy new ones, but let's look at the evolution of other sims; look at the photo-realistic scenery/equipment/vehicles. Quite simply, the graphics within FSX are to me some 10 years behind the current times. Even with all settings turned up to the max.

Someone once mentioned that they use FS as the benchmark for measuring a computer's gaming capability, and well they might. FSX is just full of excess programming that uses system resources that could be used for far better purposes, in my opinion.

All the building blocks are there with FSX, the same as they were with Vista [a great idea - poorly executed]. Similarly, it is also littered with waste, as is Vista. So what now? We have Windows 7 (which I admit that I won't be getting until next week) and that appears to have been vastly streamlined, by most accounts. Lets hope that Microsoft will see fit to dismantle FSX, throw away the obsolete parts, and re-write it into a brand new flightsim: a new Version 1, which no longer supports previous versions. [yes, I would like to see backward compatibility in the future to this version until it too becomes obsolete - I hope that makes sense]

I want to see satellite photo scenery, and photorealistic cockpits. I want the next version to run smoother and, as a result of better programming, perhaps it will run almost perfectly on hardware that will be readily available at the time of it's launch (rather than us having to wait 2 years for technology to catch up).

Without any bitching about losing stuff if there is no backward compatibility (face it guys, the world moves on eventually), I ask:

What would others like to see?

Cheers for now,

~Matt (a real pilot) 😀 😉

Don't get your hopes up. I can guarantee you there will not be another FS, mainly cause after FSX was released, Microsoft shut down ACES studios, which was the leading designer for FS.
Without ACES, there is no FS.

Pro Member Trainee
mattraw Trainee

Whoooaaa....... 😳 Surprised

So how did this happen without my knowledge...!!! The next question being that I have been reading talk of FS11 possibly being released in early 2011... All just unvalidated rumor? For what reason did they shut down ACES?

Cheers,

~M 😞 Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/news/Pages/AMessageFromAces.aspx

By now, many of you have heard that Microsoft has closed Aces Studio, the publisher of Microsoft Flight Simulator. This was not a reflection of the quality of the products Aces has developed, the sales performance of the games, or the quality of the team at Aces. This difficult decision was made to align Microsoft's resources with our strategic priorities. Microsoft Flight Simulator X will remain available at retail stores and web retailers, the Flight Sim community will continue to learn from and encourage one another, and we remain committed to the Flight Simulator franchise for the long term.

Microsoft Game Studios is investing significant resources in many exciting and new areas of gaming and entertainment, including Windows games. We believe these future investments will push innovation, community, and collaboration to unprecedented levels and will provide more synergy with our ongoing investments in Games for Windows - LIVE as well as other Windows entertainment technologies. We have nothing specific to announce at this time, but stay tuned for more information.

We are humbled and proud of the passion and support that the Flight Simulator franchise has developed over its more than twenty-five year history. This includes you, the large community of flight simmers, as well as the vibrant third-party ecosystem that has developed around the game. We will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator as we plan for future versions of the franchise. Thank you for your understanding of our decision and for your continued support!

Part of the ACES team have formed a new group, Cascade Game Foundry. You can visit their website here: http://www.cascadegamefoundry.com

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

ollyau wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/news/Pages/AMessageFromAces.aspx

By now, many of you have heard that Microsoft has closed Aces Studio, the publisher of Microsoft Flight Simulator. This was not a reflection of the quality of the products Aces has developed, the sales performance of the games, or the quality of the team at Aces. This difficult decision was made to align Microsoft's resources with our strategic priorities. Microsoft Flight Simulator X will remain available at retail stores and web retailers, the Flight Sim community will continue to learn from and encourage one another, and we remain committed to the Flight Simulator franchise for the long term.

Microsoft Game Studios is investing significant resources in many exciting and new areas of gaming and entertainment, including Windows games. We believe these future investments will push innovation, community, and collaboration to unprecedented levels and will provide more synergy with our ongoing investments in Games for Windows - LIVE as well as other Windows entertainment technologies. We have nothing specific to announce at this time, but stay tuned for more information.

We are humbled and proud of the passion and support that the Flight Simulator franchise has developed over its more than twenty-five year history. This includes you, the large community of flight simmers, as well as the vibrant third-party ecosystem that has developed around the game. We will continue to produce, sell, and support the latest version of Flight Simulator as we plan for future versions of the franchise. Thank you for your understanding of our decision and for your continued support!

Part of the ACES team have formed a new group, Cascade Game Foundry. You can visit their website here: http://www.cascadegamefoundry.com

And even if they made a new version, it would not be so good like X, because there not a big part with microsoft anymore, Microsoft was a major part in the funding for the game

Pro Member Trainee
James (Jim1964) Trainee

mattraw wrote:

Whoooaaa....... 😳 Surprised

So how did this happen without my knowledge...!!! The next question being that I have been reading talk of FS11 possibly being released in early 2011... All just unvalidated rumor? For what reason did they shut down ACES?

Cheers,

~M 😞 Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

The Aces are Now in the form of The Cascade Game foundry and ARE working on a simulator but it will NOT be just a flight Simulator ? Think World Simulator,but you wont see that for a number of years hence.?

Pro Member Trainee
Brickwall132 Trainee

Guys dont worry Areosoft is right now putting money into making their own flightsim, I think it is said to be released in 2012. Just googel Areosoft flight simulator.

Pro Member Trainee
James (Jim1964) Trainee

I sure hope This Sim will be better than their product as far as being frame rate fiendly?

Pro Member Trainee
AngelT Trainee

I would like to see a hybrid between FS and google Earth...

Pro Member Trainee
jrd929 Trainee

I know this post is ageing but I've heard on another forum that MS could be contracting it out to another company but keep the MS name on it. Could be another rumor, but the person speaking on the forum about it allegedly got the news from a MS employee. It would be great if they came out with one that didn't require a supercomputer because the game is so CPU intensive.

Pro Member Trainee
santiess Trainee

I've rad somewhere that microsoft has closed the studio of FS so there won't be any new FS from microsoft. I don't know if it's true.

Pro Member Trainee
jrd929 Trainee

Yep they did shut down ACES who developed it, but they may have an out of company developer do it and contract it to them. Its still speculation. It would be great to see them contract it out to someone else who may be able to develop it to run better as well as have good graphics. I believe the ACES group who developed the sim, was owned by MS. If not it'll be interesting to see what third party company will be able to do with it.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...