Evil or Very Mad
Having a problem geting started, will not open,just sits there
looking stupid,is a joke or what?
Alanwolf61@yahoo.com

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Since you don't explain what won't open, I'll guess at one of two things.
The splash just sits and the Sim won't start, delete the log file and it'll start.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

I'm having what seems to be the same problem. FSX has been running great since release, then suddenly this past weekend it just stopped responding. Only thing I can think of is I downloaded Microsift IE 9 Beta (I work in web development so this is a common practice).
I start up FSX and it sits at the splash screen. All night if I let it. I've repaired and uninstalled/reinstalled twice, on separate drives even. Still no good.
I searched my files. Where is this log file you mention?
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm guessing you have W7.
W7 C:\Users\%username%\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

If you are uninstalling use this guide, it works.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888846

Yes it works on W7.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Actually I'm probably the only person who uses 64 bit Vista and loves it! Never had a crash or any problems. Works great on my desktop and my laptop. I could go months without a reboot. My Mac requires rebooting more often than my Vista PC. Go figure.

And as far as the removal, DUH! The registry. I failed to clear out the registry. I"m sure that's my problem, I will attempt that this evening. I can't wait to get flying again.

For grins and giggles, I'm going to install 2004, 2002 Pro and 2000 if it works. 2Tb of disk space, why not?!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The registry is something no one bothers with and that usually the main sticking point.
Clean that and your problems should be cured.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

When you mentioned deleting the log file, I was looking for a systems log. Not the actual logbook. So I made a backup of the logbook and deleted it from the folder and everything works great...

except...

Now I've lost hundreds of log hours, my completed missions and all of my achievements. And let me tell you, landing that cub on that bus was no easy feat!

If I send my corrupt log file to Microsoft, I wonder if they can save it.

I need a signature. hmmm.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Sorry but now you have something to do...start over.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Trainee
Carlin Trainee

I'v also lost God knows how many logbook entry's from corrupt files. but look at it this way: Now you have another reason to play on the computer!

Pro Member Trainee
naflod Trainee

Right here in our own download section, a logbook recovery tool!!!

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1675/fsx-logbook-recovery/

It worked! I have my logbook and achievements back!!

Now if I can recover my completed missions I'll be back to (somewhat) normal!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Embarassed I forgot that existed, glad it worked.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...