computer for fsx?

guest_5430 Guest

I have a m17xr3 I use for FSX, most of the time I am fine running FSX, but after installing new scenery, and a buildup of tons of a/c over the years FSX really drags my system down especially over heavily populated areas.

My current spec is;
580m card, 16gb, 2630xm processor, 500gb 7200rpm raid 0.

I was weighing the options of upgrading to a newer processor and switching to ssd but figured I could use a new computer. Don't have a ton of money to throw at it, but I put together a computer online;

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Quad-Core 3.70 GHz
HDD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD
MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz Quad Channel
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 16X

I don't care about sli, and I know fsx likes nvidia, as well as high processor speeds and doesn't take advantage of multiple cores anyway, so I should be fine with this slower 4core.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Excellent choices.
Add a name brand 1,000w (or better) power supply to it.

Radar

Bill Denny Guest

I really need to make an actual account. The guest rigamarole is killing me.

Just had to throw a couple pieces of knowledge that I've acquired through my own building experiences.

~Don't get the 4GB 770 unless you are running multiple monitors, or using some oversized display like a HDTV. FSX won't utlize more than 2GB of VRAM on a single display.

~The Ivy Bridge is fine, you are correct in FSX being more CPU intensive. You picked a "K" series, so it would be in your best interest to pick up a water cooler to support the overclock if you desire to do so.

~You hardrive is a little short on capacity by modern standards, I understand it's a SSD, which is awesome, I preach the benefits of SSD's all day long, they're just too damn expensive. You may consider though, try getting a normal 7200 HDD to supplement it. A 1TB HDD is actually pretty inexpensive, and you can use it to store media and whatnot, saving the SDD for your OS and games like FSX.

~If Radeon is your flavor of choice, go for it. FSX will run Nvidia or Radeon equally. I just prefer Nvidia due to brand loyalty, and I find it easier to tweak.

I'm done, good luck.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...