How to install aircraft

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 To install aircraft into fs9
Three ways of doing things

Option1

1st up the Radar way

You need WinZip to unzip the folders.
You can get the trial one at WinZip it's the best you can use and the trial will last for years.

I think I know what you are asking but I try answering two ways.
One, If you cannot find your downloads to "unzip" them, send them to "My Computer", "My Briefcase" or even to "Desktop".
You can enter them from any of those areas.
I download to a folder that I have in "My Briefcase" it's just handy for me that way.
Installing.
Ok,
I do it a more complicated way, but it works.
Make certain you have a full aircraft not just textures.

Unzip the file and now it's in it's own little window, you work from there. Dump the jpgs.

dblc=double-click

dblc on "My Computer"
dblc on The "C" drive icon.
dblc on "Program files"
dblc on "Microsoft Games".
dblc on "Flight Simulator.

(In FSX the aircraft folder is now in the "simobjects" folder) Edit:

Now you have all the folders laid out in front of you.
Follow the directions in the read-me that came with the aircraft.
Put the gauges in the gauge folder.
Put the effects in the effects folder.
Put the aircraft in the aircraft folder; make certain it has the correct name of the plane.

Now go crash land like I do.

Radar
===============================================

Option 2

All right, It's time for a patented FEM super extensive list of instructions

1. Download the plane
1.a- Make a folder in like My Documents, or if you have a 2nd hard drive, put one there. Call it FS Downloads

2. Download the plane to FS Downloads

3. Extract the plane there. we'll call it 777.zip
3a) Extract 777.zip
3b) you'll see a folder called 777

4. Open this folder
5. If the designer has a decent head on his/her shoulders, you SHOULD see the Model, Panel, Sound folders.

ALTERNATE STEP 5. If the designer wanted to complicate things, he'd put all those folders in a SECOND 777 Folder. If, when you open the 777 folder, and you see another 777 folder, open it.

Alt. Step 5a) If you see Model, Panel Sound and what have you, go to step 6.
Alt Step 5b) if you see ANOTHER 777 folder, delete that addon right now, it's not worth the work.

6. Copy the 777 folder (The one that contains the Model, Panel Sound and what have you)

7. Paste this folder into the FS9 Aircraft folder.

8. Check the Panel Folder, if all you see is a Panel.cfg file, open it, using notepad. make SURE it's set to have an alternate panel that you have.

Ex. It'll look like this

[fltsim]
alias=b737_400\panel

This is OK like this.
If it says like 777, or 747, it's fine, cause you have the aircraft as default.

If it has a custom panel, copy all the gauges files to the FS9 gauges folder.

If you have NO SOUND, copy the default B737's sound folder into the new aircraft's main folder

This should iron out the problems

remember that the 777 file was an EXAMPLE, so use this as a guide to the other's you download

===============================================
Option 3

Windows 98 to ME
You will need Winzip or simular type program to open downloaded compressed files

Windows XP users have a program built in

Now while some(that means not all)fs2002 and even fs2000 aircraft will work in fs9,we will assume that the chosen d/load is for fs9(ifdg_a320-211_easyjet)

This is the way I have added aircraft to Microsoft Simulator from a long time ago Whistle

1st I create a new folder in My Documents and call it "flight sim aircraft"
Now all files I choose to download are sent straight there(I have done the same for scenery files)and are all in one place for back up to cd

1st select your aircraft to d/load and save to the above folder

Now the file is on your pc open it (with winzip or other in w98/me)

Now on opening that file we have a folder (IFDG_A320-211 EASYJET)and a notepad file saying where it was d/loaded from

Now open the IFDG_A320-211 EASYJET folder and we now have 5 folders
Sound

Panel

Texture

Model

Effects

and 7 other read me files and a config file
If you just got a texture file then im sorry you stop here and go find another d/load(the read me file is there for a reason...but some are blank)

If you opened the folder and the screen is full click the middle icon at the top right of you screen
(you should now have a smaller box on screen)
Now open My Computer then open Local disk,then program files then Microsoft Games then fs9
Now you should see a whole load of folders
Now resize that page so you have fs9 on one side of your screen and the downloaded folder on the other

Now goto the d/load file and open the Effects folder(12 fx files),now goto the effects folder of fs9 and open it(now you realy should back up this folder before you go any further)back now to the d/load effects and select them all.
Now just drag them all to the fs9 effects folder(It may ask if you want to overwrite files....YES)

Now click back on both folders

Now open the Aircraft folder in fs9 and drag the
iFDG folder into the Aircraft folder

Now close all windows and fire up fs9 and your new aircraft awaits you in the select aircraft page(not under Airbus but further down under iFDG Airbus)

Now enjoy

Note

Allways check that the aircraft folder that you put into fs9 opens to the 4 other folders (5 in the above example)
So you want......... Airbus a320 /panel,model,sound and texture(+effects)
And NOT....... Airbus a320/a320easyjet/panel,sound etc,etc(in this case you would open the a320 folder and drag the a320easyjet folder to fs9/aircraft

Oops! I forgot ,some aircraft will come with a gauges folder,simply open it up and copy and paste the contents to the fs9 gauges folder(Again before you do this back up the gauges folder)

Any of the three methods work

I hope this helps

Happy landings from TTT and "Now go crash land like I do."from :radar:and from Fire_Emblem_Master

🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...