Can FS2004 aircraft be copied over to FSX?

Rick G Guest

I have both FS2004 and FSX on my computer. After many months of being away from FS2004, I opened the program and it has a beautiful assortments of Cessna 182's which for the life of me, I can't understand why FSX didn't include them? Can these or even one be copied and transferred over to FSX? I have read on some of the forums that most FS9 aircraft are compatible with FSX

Please let me know if anyone has been successful making a transfer or copy of...... to FSX.

Thanks - Rick

Answers 20 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

No, most cannot be used in FSX unless converted.

Here are some ( a few of the default) remade from 2004 for FSX.
All free, enjoy!

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/search/?q=fsx+Cessna+182&cat=

Radar

Rick G Guest

Radarman - After posting this thread, I did a search in this Website's Download section and found the default Cessna 182 Skylane for FS2004, and it had already been converted. Now how do I download? I did a search on that and found a sticky that dtdb had originated, great detailed instructions. Followed that and now I have a C182 Skylane in my FSX arsenal of aircraft! This aircraft sure beats the C172 SP provided from Microsoft!!
I wanted to share with all and I saw where you had kindly replied, thank you as usual!

Anyway, I am flying a new bird within the FSX environment!

Happy flying! - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Glad to hear that all worked out well.
Thanks for letting us know, happy flying!

Radar

Rick G Guest

Knew it was too good to be true, plane is there, nice as it can look. Plane wants to circle to the left, tried adjusting rudder trim, calibrated joystick, did not help! Prop pitch for RPM up and down does not work properly. I just don't know where to go from here?

Maybe something went wrong in the conversion?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Found this, try the settings.

The cause is the p-factor slider. You can turn other realism settings back up and then adjust the p-factor slider to be a bit more realistic.

Radar

Rick G Guest

Radarman - Tried several different settings, power on from still improved, but once the wheels broke ground, the left turn occurred!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try cleaning out your old joystick drivers and downloading new ones from the manufacturers page.

You could email the designer, they are a nice bunch and probably will help you.

Radar

Rick G Guest

Radarman - I know for the most times, you seem to be THE miracle worker, but, would you by chance know any email addresses or contact information for the designer? I assume, by designer, you are talking about Mark Rooks of RSDG?

I did go into the aircraft config files for both the FS9 182 and the FSX 182 (the newly downloaded model) and there have been some configuration changes made in the conversion.

As far as my Joystick goes, I use a CH Products Mach III joystick and there are no drivers associated with it. All aircraft other this one I downloaded work fine on both programs. It truly has me baffled!

Thanks - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Rick G Guest

Radarman - I just now got it working! The problem was in the weight and balance. It was missing the " signs in front of the Station Load weights. Stations 1, 2 and 3 didn't even have a weight assigned. CFG file now looks like this:

station_load.0 = "170, -3.1, -1.5, 0.0 // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.1 = "170, -3.1, 1.5, 0.0 // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.2 = "160, -6.1, -1.5, 0.0 // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.3 = "160, -6.1, 1.5, 0.0 // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)
station_load.4 = "33, -8.5, 0.0, 0.0 // Weight (lbs), longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum (feet)

station_name.0 = "Pilot"
station_name.1 = "Front Passenger"
station_name.2 = "Rear Passenger"
station_name.3 = "Rear Passenger"
station_name.4 = "Baggage"

Rick G Guest

..........Weight and Balance section of the CFG file. Once I could do a side by side comparison of the FS9 CFG and the FSX CFG file, it stood out as maybe something that might make a difference and it did!

I think I will go a mix my daily Jack D in celebration! Yipppeeee again!

Thanks and happy flying! - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Way to go!
You did it yourself.
I'd have to agree that it is worth a drink, have one for me.

Radar

Rick G Guest

Just an update, and all is still working fine, however, tonight I tried to fly the Skylane using Flight Planner, and the panel that came with the download is missing the toggle switch on the IOAT guage, which prevents me from going in between NAV and GPS.

I looked at the default Cessna Skylane 182 and the panel is identical and does have the toggle on it. My question is, can the panel folder on the FSX downloaded Skylane be deleted and then copy and paste the default panel back over to the FSX panel folder?

I know it sounds petty worrying about a toggle, but I won't be able to use Flight Planner without it and I don't know any other way of getting a toggle without replacing the panel.

Any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate!

Thanks - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try it but don't delete the new one.
Just move it to the desktop, if the old panel doesn't work then you will still be able to put the default one back.

Radar

Rick G Guest

Didn't work, oh well?

Thanks anyway Radarman! Have a nice day! - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Too bad, at least you solved the left pull.
Enjoy!

Radar

Rick G Guest

Yes, that was really bugging me! Oh, I tried sending an email to Mark Rooks at the email address you gave me and it was returned by Mail-Daemon, but that's okay, too! Like you said, at least "no pulls!"

Thanks - Rick

Rick G Guest

Update! All is working now! Missing toggle is no longer an issue, still not there, but I can click on GPS/NAV (little shaded square where the toggle used to be) but I have to watch the instruments to know what is what, until I can quickly know what position I have requested! Just not readily noticeable at a glance.

Plane has it's quirks but that is understandable in that this upgrade has been totally modified from the original design, from 230 HP to 280 HP, 3 bladed prop to 4 bladed prop, now a Turbocharged powerplant. New flight characteristics with the original instruments! I am getting used to it and it will stay a keeper, for sure!

Would I recommend the download? Depends, if you have the patience to sort thru the changes made, be able to adapt to the upgraded powerplant, then the move might be right for you! I have already solved the pulling to the left for any future downloads, so the rest is up to individual preferences!

Good luck and happy flying! - Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Now that you are pleased with the download, think about getting a aircraft you like in payware.
The attention to detail is heads above freeware.
Suggestions.

https://www.simshack.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=carenado

Radar

Rick G Guest

That's a possibility, but, maybe the frustrations of working out the freeware was easier than explaining to the wife the question of "Honey, what's this purchase you made of $xx.xx to XXXXXX? LOL!

I will go to your suggested site to see what they have to offer!

Thanks and have a happy 4th of July! - Rick

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...