Restricted Airspace

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

What airports are near restricted airspace in FS9?

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

If you liik on the map, restricted airspace is the red part, regular airspace is blue. I don't know any offhand, but you could find loads that way! 😎 😛

DonWood Guest

In other posts, you have asked about the WH and Camp David. Those are not in Restricted Airspace, they are in Prohibited Airspace.

There are literally hundreds of areas of restricted airspace around the U.S. Within 100nm of my home in Mesquite, Nevada, there are five or six large areas plus the Prohibited area around Groom lake. I presume, but do not know, that there are similar areas designated in other countries.

Some is to avoid noise pollution at scenic areas but most is to limit non-operational traffic in military high-activity areas. Sometimes Restricted airspace is active 24/7 from the surface to space. Other times is is only active during operational use periods. Many Restricted areas have altitude parameters (i.e., restricted at and above 5,000 MSL to and including, 15,000 MSL).

Prohibited areas protect especially sensitive areas. Some are permanent (the area around the WH), and some are in place only when designated. In the real world, FAA publishes NOTAMs (Notices to Airmen) advising of any temporary designations. The pilot is required to research his/her route to make sure they know which airspace can be used and which cannot.

The penalties for violations can be severe. At minimum, FAA may want to talk to you about your license status. At worst, you could wake up with an F-16 stuck in your exhaust port.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

If you liik on the map, restricted airspace is the red part, regular airspace is blue. I don't know any offhand, but you could find loads that way! 😎 😛

Don't you mean that the red part is the MOA (military operation area) area and the blue stuff is either the warning area or the restricted airspace.

Pro Member Chief Captain

MOA is restricted isn't it..could've swore it was.

Pro Member Chief Captain

MOA is not restricted. I is just an area that the military used. You can fly through it but keep your eyes open for traffic!

Don Wood Guest

FEM - to clarify, there are two different types of miltary airspace: Military Operation Areas (MOA) and Restricted Areas. The previous poster was correct that you do not need clearance to operate in an MOA. Prudent operation suggests that you contact the nearest FSS or military controller to determine current activity but that is not a requirment. Restricted Airspace, on the other hand, requires ATC clearance to enter and transit. If the area you want to transit is clear, clearance will sometimes be given. If it is not clear, clearance will be denied and you are required not to enter that airspace. In my neck of the woods, it often means long detours.

Pro Member Chief Captain

You must be a real world pilot. 🙂 It's alot of fun to fly isn't it. I am in training.

Pro Member Chief Captain

thanks! 😛

Don Wood Guest

MyPilot: I am a pilot and I used to be your neighbor. I flew out of SNA and LGB before I moved to Nevada. Good luck with your training.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'll need it. Hack

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...