TOGA - How to Use it?

PhillFlash Guest

Hello,
     I believe that TOGA is an acronym for Take Off Go Around (throttle control).
     Any advice on how to activate or "use" this feature.  I've had it work for me a time or two by accident, but I can't figure out how make it happen "at will".
     Thanks for any help anyone may be able to offer.
Phill

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
PhillFlash Guest

Thanks RadarMan, but ... I was thinking more along the lines of just what order the activation process takes, like:

A: Activate TOGA
B: Move throttle to TakeOff position.
C: Activate AutoPilot

... you know, kind of "seeing-eye-dog" step-by-step.

Q1: Do I activate TOGA while on the groung before take-off?
       If not, when?
Q2:  After successful activation of TOGA, do I ever need to intervene manually?
Q3:  Should I expect it to automatically control the throttle completely through landing?
Q4:  Does Auto Pilot need to be on?

I guess I'm not sure when it's actually "doing it's thing".

Thanks,
Phill

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if these help.

Take-off/Go Around (TO/GA) is an autopilot/autothrottle setting activating take-off or go-around thrust. Depending upon aircraft type, it may be activated by depressing a switch or by manually moving the thrust levers to the appropriate position.

Also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeoff/Go-around_switch

Radar

PhillFlash Guest

That's it ! ! !
Perfect!
Thanks much,
Phill

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😎It took a few tries but what you wanted finally sunk into my head.
Enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello Phill,

You're on the right track with your questions! I'll provide the step-by-step guidance you're looking for in using the TOGA (Take Off Go Around) feature in Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Here's a brief rundown of the procedure:

1. Activate TOGA: You activate TOGA while on the ground before take-off. To do this, depending on your aircraft type, you can either press the designated TOGA button or move the throttle lever to the appropriate position. For some aircraft, it might be at the full-forward position, while for others, there could be a detent or a specific position marked for TOGA.
  2. Move throttle to Takeoff position: Once TOGA is activated, your throttle should already be set to the takeoff position, providing the correct amount of thrust for takeoff.
  3. Rotate and climb: As you reach the recommended rotation speed (Vr), gently pull back on the yoke or stick to lift the nose of the aircraft. Continue to climb at the recommended climb speed (Vy) while maintaining a safe angle of attack.
  4. Activate AutoPilot: Once you've reached a safe altitude, typically above 1,000 feet AGL, you can activate the autopilot system to take over the flight. It's essential to understand your aircraft's autopilot system and set the appropriate modes (e.g., Lateral Navigation (LNAV), Vertical Navigation (VNAV), or Altitude and Heading Hold) before engaging it.

Now, to answer your specific questions:

Q1: As mentioned above, you activate TOGA while on the ground before take-off.

Q2: You may need to intervene manually in case of any anomalies during the takeoff or go-around process, such as a sudden change in wind direction, engine failure, or other emergencies that require pilot intervention. It's always good to stay vigilant and prepared to take over manual control if necessary.

Q3: TOGA is not designed to control the throttle throughout the entire flight, including landing. Its purpose is to set the correct takeoff/go-around thrust. You'll need to manage throttle settings during other phases of the flight, such as cruise, descent, and approach.

Q4: Autopilot does not need to be on for TOGA to function. TOGA sets the appropriate thrust for takeoff or go-around, while the autopilot system manages the aircraft's flight path once it's activated.

I hope this clears up any confusion and provides the guidance you need to use TOGA effectively in your flight simulation experience!

Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...